1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panny internet or shop?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jayk, May 30, 2002.

1. jayk

jayk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it better to buy a ptae100e from a shop oppossed to the internet if reliablity is an issue i just cancelled one from techtronics as the seem to be hopeless!!!!!

2. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of people have ordered them over the internet on this site and of those who have had problems, there doesn't seem to be a big problem with the places they bought them from - apart from the delays. I'm not sure this would be much different if you bought locally. Techtronics are not the benchmark for internet sites' service although personally I have had no problems with them. Places like AV sales have received excellent feedback and their price falls midway between the cheapest and high street price.

I personally decided to order from discount electrical, who advertise on this site, because of a) their price £1219 b) the pixel check and c) they seem to offer good service - although not yet tested. An extra £281 seems a lot to pay for the 'service' and close proximity of your local dealer. Thats just my opinion, however, if after reading the posts you are not convinced then go to your dealer, audition the Panny, and see if you get a good feel for the place. It may be cheap for a projector but its still a lot of money - only you can decide.

3. jayk

jayk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think the advantage from the shop is you can go in and give it to them if you have a problem where on the net it could take a while.taking the mixed reviews on the pannys reliablity it might be best to be safe than sorry!!!!

4. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take it back /post it back- same thing happens next. I don't think the shop would deal with it any quicker ('Oh yes Sir we keep loads out the back just in case there are faulty ones to replace, Panasonic give us proper shops loads of 'em just for this purpose' - I think not).

My nearest dealer is in Newcastle. Time it takes (Our time is worth over £6 per hour according to a report yesterday - the same report that said takeaways are a good idea - makes sense in my eyes ;) ), parking fees, petrol - t'aint cheaper. Same again when it returns.

I actually went to said dealer to check out the Panny. Showed me Mummy 2 fed through composite with a dead pixel right in middle and didn't know returns policy regarding pixel problem. If it wasn't for this forum and the HCPC route I wouldn't have bothered.

Anyway my moral is - just cos you can see the buggers doesn't make them any better.

Still, your money your choice.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    KevinR

HaHa

nicely put, thanks mate you put a smile on my face.

but you have a good point.

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    if it was a panasonic shop, and the stocks were being built up, then it is perfectly possible that they'd have a replacement unit. Especially if you've only just bought it and start asking for a refund.

And it isn't much more hassle to take it back to a shop, compared to trying to pack it securely, then take it to the post office (probably next door to the panasonic dealer) and queue up in the granny queue because you need special postage.

7. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, it may be in the future that Panasonic dealers have supplies in stock but they certainly haven't at the moment and I believe Jayk is trying to buy one now.

Anyone like I said it is up to the individual to decide.

I'm off to the post office (just down the road in my case) to queue behind the granny's...oh no wait i'm OK, they all go at ten to nine to get their pensions;)

8. jayk

jayk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kevin i understand the point but in an ideal world if you had a prob may be they could replace it on the spot from a shop but that wont happen as there rocking horse ****at the moment just raising a thread to see if everyone is happy with buying them on the net and if they had probs were they dealt with satisfactory results as now i am waiting to be recredited on my card because there after sales at techtronic are not very good they dont like emailing you.like you say yes it is up to the individual but the quote about panny shops yes we will replace it i ll just go in the back and get you one sir!what is the problem with that if you bought something from currys and it was faulty do you expect a replacement or refund or do currys tell you sorry we will have to order some sir we will let you now when get some i dont think you would find that acceptable!! do you!!!!!!!
    i think you would want a refund dont you?

9. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear what your saying mate. Although a few more full stops would improve my understanding ;)

Using Techtronics is not a good comparator for internet sales. They're no cheaper than the high street for the Panny (oh yes a 'free' screen) and their service has, shall we say, been called into question by others on the forum.

But AV sales and Joe Fernand's place, Media Factory I think, sound excellent places to do business and have a far more knowledgeable staff than your usual Curry's clown

:clown: (sorry Curry's clowns but c'mon you're only interested in flogging extended warranties for commission)

OK so there are benefits using the local dealer and you sound like your happier to go this way. Your choice so make it

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    once it has gone over a month , wherever you buy it from will send it off for repair because you are entitled to a refund within 28 days and the product is guarunteed for (normally) 12 months, I know this is debatable.

but if a dealer sends i back to panasonic after 28 days they will repair it and ship it back to the dealer, so whoever they are, they will try to get out of giving you a new unit, otherwise they will have a repaired one to sell when it comes back.
    Unless the supplier has told them to swap it for a new one.

11. jayk

jayk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i ve just bought a screen from av sales they seem quite helpful its a shame they dont have any pj in i would feel comfortable with them.

so it looks like the shop for one in the morning fingers crossed its a good unit.:D

12. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope the screen's OK jayk. Might be a problem squeezing it under that post office counter if there's a fault:D .

BTW av sales do special offers if you buy the Panny with the screen. If the shop doesn't have it talk to Matthew at av and see what he can do.... unless your sticking with the shop thing.

Happy shopping

Kev

13. jayk

jayk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kevin i have spoken to mathew at av sales the panny wont be there for a while but a shop near me has got a couple so i will buy it from them.
    ps the screen under the post office well for a couple of hundred quid its no big deal :D :D
    thanks for you comments:D