Panny HS2 - whining noise!!

witters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I switch it on a loud whirring/whining noise is apparent. Is it likely to be the hard disk, and if so, is this something that can be replaced?

Any help appreciated.

One or 2 people have complained of an unacceptably noisy hard drive, suggest you get the machine repaired under warranty. Mine can only be heard very close to the unit with no other sound to distract from it.
Hardcore enthusiasts have even upgraded to quieter drives to minimise noise as all hdd's make some noise. There is also a cooling fan, but I have never heard mine running in anger, which could also be noisy.

Is it a case of just swapping out the hard drive then, or is it more complicated that that?

I had this problem that started to develope and it got worse as time went on.

I contacted Panasonic for advise and they were magnificant. Their agent collect the machine, lent me a loan machine, and returned mine after 2 weeks. Once repaired the machine was great, it still makes a noise for 10 seconds when turned on, but is then silent unless you listen ffrom a few feet.

Keith

Anumber of people have tried to increase the size of the hard drive, but it cant be done, even if bigger it still only uses 40gig.
As a byproduct of this it has come to light that the power supply is marginal, and the machine will only take drives with a low power consumption. As long as the drive you wish to use is low power and this probably means a 5400rpm model it will work. I believe there are drives with better bearings available which are quieter in service.
However there can't be many machines out there which are out of guarantee yet, so I wouldn't recommend opening it yet, indeed there is a trick to opening the box without breaking the fascia

Too late was the cry!

I replaced the disc with another Mator 40GB model, only 7200rpm.

Seems to work perfectly so far......

You may find that burning the dvd fails as there is insufficient power available to do that at the same time as work the hdd.
It is marginal and you may get away with it. There appears to be no advantage in fitting the 7200 speed drives as the machine cannot process the data any faster.

It could well become an issue in 2 or 3 years time when the drives start failing for everyone, as the way the industry is progressing such small slow drives may no longer be available. I have heard of people buying the correct drives and storing them away for this future near certaintyof drive failure as it is probably the weakest link in the design. I suspect they are very stressed in this application, constantly using most of the drive, and reading and writing simultaneously from different parts, much more so than in the average pc.

It was difficult finding a slower speed drive Ken. They seem to be history!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom