1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny HS2 and FR

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dpiper, Jul 24, 2003.

1. dpiper

dpiper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just purchased a Panny HS2 for £649 from Letsgodigital - excellent service and next day delivery. Wondering now whether I should have waited for the E100 - is it really likely to sell at around the £750 mark?

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the Panny HS2, but I'm slightly confused (but not concerned) about what the FR mode actually does.

Over the last 3 days I've recorded episodes of Sherlock Holmes from Plus (Sky Digibox) on to the HDD. I dubbed the first 2 episodes at SP a total of 134 minutes after partial erase of adverts. This left my 26 (SP) minutes on the disc so I decided to squeeze in the third episode. I set it at FR mode and expected to get say the first 15 minutes at SP and the rest of the episode at LP. The dubbing display stayed however at SP throughout the dubbing. When I finalised and played back on my Pioneer player I noticed that the transfer rate was significantly lower on the third episode (about 3-4.5) than the first two episodes (5-7). Does this mean that FR mode creates something in-between SP and LP and records at this level throughout the whole recording?

I thought thr FR recording was fine anyway, so I'll think I'll stick we this sort of squeezing of last programmes to a disc.

Last thought, re: X4 DVD - r. I know we know have a reponse from Panasonic (via Malcolm - well done!) saying that these discs are ok to use but have any HS2 users actually used them? Have you experienced any problems? There seems to be many more of these X4 discs on the market as far as I can see.

Happy recording to one and all

Dave

2. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes. that's my understanding of FR.

Although I normally record something on RAM discs, edit then copy to DVD-R in SP mode I do sometimes when need arises record to RAM in SP mode and then copy to a DVD-R disc using FR set at 90 minutes. This give a quality that lies between XP and SP. The results are very good indeed.

The 4x discs I am using in the E20/30 are the Memorex brand from SVP. I havent tried any of the others that are based on Ritek dye because my E20 does not playback Ritek properly. About 80% of them stutter. Memorex on the other hand.No problem so far.

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have been working my way through a batch of 4x media from datasafe with no problems.

FR works differently on the hs2, whatever you want to dub to the dvd at FR is adjusted to actually fit the space left.
    ie if you record 2 45 minute programs at sp and then fill the remaining space with another hour one one at fr it will record equivalent to lp. Conversly if you had a 30 min program to fit at fr it would go on at sp quality, and if the source material was at xp, a 15 minute dub will record using fr at the same quality.