Panny gx800 vs samsung q80r

Millertime9

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Upgrading my plasma ps51 f5500 and have narrowed it down to these 2

I generally prefer Samsung's, but I am still a bit torn

Mainly because the Panasonic can do both Dolby vision and hdrplus

But, the Panasonic has better response rate for gaming!

Can anyone advise me?

Is hdrplus just as good as dolby anyway or am I better going for the one that can do both?

I like the fact the Samsung has a less reflective screen too as during the day the room it is in is very bright

Thanks

The Samsung is by far the better tv. The only plus for the Panasonic is Dolby Vision support. The Samsung is better across the board.

The Samsung is by far the better tv. The only plus for the Panasonic is Dolby Vision support. The Samsung is better across the board.
Ok thanks that is what I was thinking

Is the Dolby vs hdrplus negligible then?

You’ll still get the ‘base’ hdr with any content that is DV. Ignore formats, get the best tv you can that has the hardware to show hdr. The Panasonic is really rather poor and I’d venture that it’s overpriced.

There's no competition here, but I'd personally go for the Q85R if you can since its local dimming is better. The Q80R has similar local dimming to the cheaper Q70R but can get a lot brighter, so the Q85R dimming becomes quite important.

There's no competition here, but I'd personally go for the Q85R if you can since its local dimming is better. The Q80R has similar local dimming to the cheaper Q70R but can get a lot brighter, so the Q85R dimming becomes quite important.
Thank you but I'm pushing it with the wife at £999, another 300 for the 85r would be a no go!

Thank you but I'm pushing it with the wife at £999, another 300 for the 85r would be a no go!
I bought my Q85R for £999 at the beginning of January. Hold out for a few more weeks and the price may drop back down again.

TV pricing fluctuates a lot and with 2020 models close to release, potentially this is the time to find the best discounts on 2019 stock.

It's a gamble the TVs will sell out, but it's the time people get the best deals.

Just take a look at price history graphs on PriceSpy Ltd. or similar.

Ah really!?

Where from??
Currys. Richer Sounds also dropped to £999 afterwards. Both price drops were only for a few days though. As suggested above, Pricespy is a good way of monitoring prices.

Good luck.

Stuck on what tv to get (mainly used for gaming/ watching movies) Was thinking they Samsung Q70R or Panasonic gx800

Stuck on what tv to get (mainly used for gaming/ watching movies) Was thinking they Samsung Q70R or Panasonic gx800
You are comparing two models that may be the same price but one is significantly better than the other. A bit like the original post of this thread.

The Q70R is a lot lot better. It even has exclusive gaming features.

You are comparing two models that may be the same price but one is significantly better than the other. A bit like the original post of this thread.

The Q70R is a lot lot better. It even has exclusive gaming features.
Okay sounds good and you would recommend the 55” rather than the 49?

Okay sounds good and you would recommend the 55” rather than the 49?
Yes, because the 49" TV only uses a 60hz panel so you don't get the gaming features you get on the same TV with 120hz panel.

so the 55” is going to be only out of proportion in the room, is there an alternative you can think of at 49/50”
Sony XG9005.

See this thread: Looking for a new tv.. take the time to read all posts where the OP was originally considering the Panasonic GX800 and later decided on the XG9005.

Does the q80 have the proper wide angle support?

Been reading the owners thread and I am concerned that the reviews I have been reading and impressed by are for the q85, which isnt what I thought I was buying!

Whats the difd between the 80 andb85 in the uk?

Thanks

The Q80R does indeed come with the wide viewing angle filter.

The Q80R sold in North America is actually closer to the Q85R here in Europe.
While the Q80R in Europe isn't sold elsewhere, its a cut down version of the Q85R that sits somewhere between it and the cheaper Q70R.

The Q85R is definitely recommended and is the Q80R that is reviewed well everywhere online. It has better local dimming for better HDR than the Q80R.

The Q80R does indeed come with the wide viewing angle filter.

The Q80R sold in North America is actually closer to the Q85R here in Europe.
While the Q80R in Europe isn't sold elsewhere, its a cut down version of the Q85R that sits somewhere between it and the cheaper Q70R.

The Q85R is definitely recommended and is the Q80R that is reviewed well everywhere online. It has better local dimming for better HDR than the Q80R.
Ok and very last question...

Am I right in saying that only hdmi 2.1 can utilise the screens 120hz motion at 4k?

If I want to watch 4k sport and also best utilise the ps5 when it comes out, what detriment am I going to experience with only 60hz at 4k with the hdmi 2.0 slots?

The main limitation won't be the lack 120hz but the fact when you use Variable Refresh Rate with a limit of 60hz in the future, the feature won't work at lower frame rates. That may be okay if they manage to render games at 60fps, but typically consoles render only at 30fps, sometimes less.

With the Samsung Q80R they actually use their own workaround to get Variable Refresh Rate working at either 4k at 60hz or 2k at 120hz. The TVs don't actually use proper HDMI 2.1 ports so they don't adhere strictly to the HDMI standards.

There's a possibility in the future this workaround they use won't play ball with future HDMI 2.1 devices, but at the moment it certainly works with the Xbox One consoles.

If you want 4k at 120hz to get a better Variable Refresh Rate range the Q90R hacks its HDMI 2.0 ports even further, but it's still a 'hack' and may not work as intended in the future.

The only TVs that you can buy today that have decent HDMI 2.1 support really are LGs OLEDs or the SM9000/SM9010 LCD TVs. The OLEDs are very recommended and are great TVs, but the same cannot be said about LGs LCD TVs. Their LCD TVs do not come close to Samsung or Sony in picture quality.

With the 2020 lines coming out it still doesn't look too hopeful for full HDMI 2.1 support, LG's OLEDs will have the best support again, even better than existing 2019 models and Samsung will put a single HDMI 2.1 port on most of its higher end LCD TVs.

Unfortunately the likes of Sony, Philips or Panasonic seem to be omitting HDMI 2.1 completely apart from the very higher end models.

The main limitation won't be the lack 120hz but the fact when you use Variable Refresh Rate with a limit of 60hz in the future, the feature won't work at lower frame rates. That may be okay if they manage to render games at 60fps, but typically consoles render only at 30fps, sometimes less.

With the Samsung Q80R they actually use their own workaround to get Variable Refresh Rate working at either 4k at 60hz or 2k at 120hz. The TVs don't actually use proper HDMI 2.1 ports so they don't adhere strictly to the HDMI standards.

There's a possibility in the future this workaround they use won't play ball with future HDMI 2.1 devices, but at the moment it certainly works with the Xbox One consoles.

If you want 4k at 120hz to get a better Variable Refresh Rate range the Q90R hacks its HDMI 2.0 ports even further, but it's still a 'hack' and may not work as intended in the future.

The only TVs that you can buy today that have decent HDMI 2.1 support really are LGs OLEDs or the SM9000/SM9010 LCD TVs. The OLEDs are very recommended and are great TVs, but the same cannot be said about LGs LCD TVs. Their LCD TVs do not come close to Samsung or Sony in picture quality.

With the 2020 lines coming out it still doesn't look too hopeful for full HDMI 2.1 support, LG's OLEDs will have the best support again, even better than existing 2019 models and Samsung will put a single HDMI 2.1 port on most of its higher end LCD TVs.

Unfortunately the likes of Sony, Philips or Panasonic seem to be omitting HDMI 2.1 completely apart from the very higher end models.
Ah right so the q80r doesnt actually have a proper 2.1 port either!?

Can I check, is this the real q85r that I should be looking for?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom