1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny - External Link EPG/RGB Recordings

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AxxxxA, Feb 27, 2005.

1. AxxxxA

AxxxxA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, just for info I have been messing around with scart plugs over the weekend and have come up with a way of recording from Digi sat on my panny e55 and probably all the other pannys solely using RGB and the EPG program guide as the signal.

The problem with the sky box is the (TV) output doesn’t send the signal to the recorder to start recording but does output an RGB signal and the (VCR) scart does send the signal to the recorder but doesn’t output in RGB, so I fixed it by slightly altering a standard scart cable.

You need to get a scart plug from an old cable or a shop like maplin and a scart cable.

1, Take the scart plug and solder a wire about 8” onto pin 8, (if you look in the end of the scart they are all numbered) this pin 8 is the switch lead which sends a signal to the recorder to start recording when the EPG switches over.
    2, Unscrew the end of the scart cable and find plug 8, cut the cable of the pin and solder this wire to the wire from scart socket you have just done in step 1. reassemble the plug.

Now you just need to plug it in. The scart with the one wire needs to go into the VCR output of the Digi box and the other scart needs to go into the TV output with the other end in AV2 on the recorder.
    Leave the settings on the recorder as AV2 input = RGB, AV2 Connection = Normal & Ext Link = Ext Lnk1.

Job done. :thumbsup:

I have been using it all weekend and it works a treat but, and there’s always a but. The above works fine if the Digi box has been left switched on when the EPG turns the channel over but if I turn it off and let the EPG do it stuff, the Digi box / recorder turns on but I only get sound until I press the sky button on the remote and then i get picture as well. I have tried turning it off using the dig box’s power button and also with another remote I have but still the same, sound but no picture until the sky button is pressed, I never use the tv button on the remote so I don’t know if this problem is with my Digi box or not as I have had it almost 7 years. I dont think it is anything to do with the cable I made as I have also got one of those sky phantom PVR’s and it is the same with that. :confused:

If anyone knows of a way to get round this please let me know.

2. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've always been frustrated by this quirk of external link/rgb with a freeview box.

Thanks for your ingenious solution, but I'm not brave enough to risk fiddling with the scart cable, even though I misspent my youth mucking about with soldering irons and electronics/radio!

3. pilotsnipes

pilotsnipes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just seen this thread. Has anyone else tried this? It does sound very tempting......

Thanks to AxxxxA for passing the info on.

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's a coincidence this should crop up here. I wondered about it in Post #11 on http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226226

If your STB turns on its TV out under timer control it should work. Leaving the box on all the time could mean the STB constantly transmits a Pin 8 signal for aspect ratio switching (different voltages do different things), so you could find that just turning on the STB starts the recorder.

Many STBs do not activate the TV-out from standby under timer control*, in which case you'd get the recorder turning on but no signal. Check you have TV-out when the STB goes on from standby under timer control before making the mod.

* This is because some TVs turn on from standby or change channels with a scart signal from the STB.

5. Number Six

Number Six

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The solution is easy if you are using Sky and Bluedelta's Phantom+ adapter. http://www.bluedelta.co.uk/phantom_plus.htm

I've just programmed the device as normal but with a press of the "SKY" button in the channel number section as well. Now every time the box turns on for a timed recording it kicks the digibox into life automatically. The Phantom+ simply plugs intop the VCR socket, and the DVDR goes between the TV socket and the TV. Perfect! :thumbsup:

I expect you can do pretty much the same thing with Freeview too.

6. aekostas

aekostas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yes, but does it do RGB recordings as per the topic? My iplayer+ STB only outputs CVBS on timer recordings, but at least outputs RGB on reminder. The Philips DTR320 is even worse, as the reminder assumes that the STB is on (it does not wake up the STB) and requires a press of the OK button to confirm you really want to switch.

I also have an unconfirmed suspicion that the EH50 copies CVBS on ext-link.

7. AJBek

AJBek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    :thumbsup: great thinking mate, I will have to remeber to do this when I set up my dvd recorder with the phantom plus.