Panny error code

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sparks, Apr 6, 2003.

1. sparks

sparks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a panny DVD player/VHS recorder (NV-VHD1B) about 6months old. Have had no problems with it until last night when I came to play a DVD, I could not open the loading tray and in the DVD window F498 is displayed. Am I right in thinking that this code is referring to a fault and if so what is the fault and how can I clear it? No mention of any codes are mentioned in the operating instructions. Help and advice please :confused:

2. cyberman

cyberman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that is a fault code, have a look inside for any obvious faults and try and get hold of a service manual

3. Spirit1969

Spirit1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But where from? surely someone must know exactly what the error codes mean other than Panny themselves? ive searched the net high & low and have only found 2 references to this problem, this 1 and another in some alien language, even my trusted universal translator couldnt help me out (i knew the man who sold it me wasnt the real Mr Spock:laugh: )

Pannys site is complete US!:thumbsdow theyve got problem fixes and service manuals/updates for every bit of equipment theyve made except the NVVHD1BS:mad: all they offer for this is the standard manual.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance:hiya:

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Register here, then upload a text file with your request. Hopefully someone will upload it (keep a eye out cos they get cleared every 3 days)

http://tibor56.hyperlinx.cz/

5. sparks

sparks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took my DVD/VHS player into the local Panasonic dealer today to have it repaired, and guess what!! For them to look at and then repair I have to pay £30.00 because it was bought over the internet from another Panasonic dealer. They tell me that had I bought it from them then the £30.00 would be waived. Is this normal practice or am I being "rolled over"!!!! Is there anyone else who has had similar experiences?:mad: :mad: :mad:

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sounds normal.

You should have rung up where you bought it from,as they would have arranged a repair under the 1 year warranty and I would of thought that any carriage should be covered under the warranty as well.

7. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Exactly, If I was that local Panasonic Dealer I would do the same, it would cost time and money for them to repair it, As Panasonic are not going to pay your local Panasoic Dealer for the repairs as your warranty is with whom you purchased it from not your local Panasonic Dealer.

8. sparks

sparks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The dealer I bought it from did offer to repair it if I paid the carrier costs, about £12 each way, but my concern was in what condition it would be in when it returned. Parcel Farce dont have a good reputation for being careful.
    If your car develops a fault within its warrenty period it can be taken to any dealer in the country without the owner incurring a surcharge.

9. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    This is strange.

As I know someone who had a faulty Sony VCR. There were able to take to any sony authrise engineers to get it repairs free of charge under the warrenty permitting they had a proof of purchase with date on it. No matter where they took it as Sony would pay the repair centre the cost.

10. Spirit1969

Spirit1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My bro took his bk last week, as soon as the engineer heard the word F498 his face had this look....:suicide: turns out that F498 is 2nd nature to this model... :nono: Panny

From what i can gather from afew people ive spoke to is that even a new unit straight from the factory COULD develope this problem :rolleyes:

:lesson: Panny repeat after me "You must NOT release hardware onto the market with known faults! & to keep doing so will result in 2weeks detention:lesson: "

Would of been nice if they actually had info regarding this KNOWN! problem on their website OR had a recall instead of having the attitude of lets wait and see,hopefully all of them wont be bad:rolleyes:

Nevermind, i told my bro not to buy an all in one, rather have separate units myself,other than this problem me & my bro actually love Panny stuff,just the fact i dont like the attitude of trying to brush problems under ones own carpet, because as we all know they'll come bk to haunt you one day:eek:

11. sparks

sparks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also like Panny stuff and the only reason I bought a combined DVD/VHS player was of the limited space below my w/s tv. If a VHS player, DVD, Sat box, surround sound amp and shelves are all stacked on top of each other it is impossible to contain it all in the space provided. I dont like the idea of exposed players etc. outside the tv cabinet.

12. philipjg

philipjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi

I'm bringing this back up rather than start a new thread as I am having the same problem with my DVD-RV32. As soon as I turn it on I get the error code 'F498'. None of the buttons will respond and my Donnie Darko DVD is trapped inside!

I bought this 13 or 14 months ago so the warranty will just have expired.

How did those of you who have had this before get on, or is it time for a new DVD player:confused:

I'd really appreciate any help on this as I can't bear to be without it for long and really can't afford any expensive repairs.

13. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Dont worry.

Get a quote for the repair.

A nice new Panny one is under £80 anyway > http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetails/index.asp?modelcode=PAN-DVDS35EBS&clear=.

14. sparks

sparks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had to cough up the £30 to my local panny dealer to have the F498 fault rectified, but when I collectrd it and installed it at home I could not get the VHS door to open fully. It turned out to be the case which had not been aligned with the chassis. So much for testing the player after the repair!!!!
    Back to the local dealer and told them the original fault had gone but they had created another. I was just waiting for the manager to remind me of the "£30 charge" but he sensed the mood I was in and thought better of it!! Anyway, player returned, working, Happy Days!!!
    But, less than 4months later F498 returned in the display window. To say I was livid is an understatement!! There was no way that I would be taking back to my local dealers as I wouldn,t trust them with a pack of batteries and a torch bulb.
    As I was due to go on holiday the following week I thought that I would leave the repair until I came back. But on holiday I picked up a copy of "DVD player and Widescreen TV" and surprise, surprise there was a letter from a reader describing the same fault (F498) on his Panny VHS/DVD player. The reply from the magazine stated that Panasonic had been using a new method of soldering and this resulted in a lot of "dry joints" appearing on PCBs.
    Once home I contacted Panasonic direct at Bracknell and told them the story expained above. Within 24hrs the player had been picked up, by courier, with a guarantee that it would be returned within 7days. The player was repaired at Bracknell, returned by courier (within 5days!!!) at no cost to me. It is worth pointing out that at the time I contacted Panasonic the player was by then out of warrenty. Lesson learnt:- go direct!!!!!

15. philipjg

philipjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for the replies, guess I will have a go talking to Panasonic and see if they will do anything for free. If not, that player at empiredirect looks a good replacement and I think that after reading Sparks post I would rather pay £80 for a new one than £30 for a repair.

16. Mike_Heston

Mike_Heston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had same F498 error message with a Panasonic VHS/DVD - this is the second time round. First time was fixed under warranty. No such luck this time - Panasonic demands I get unit inspected at my own expense then it may agree to pay for the repair but no gaurantees. This seems very unfair to me where there appears to be a known problem. Not a lot I can do. The cost of inspection and potential cost of repair makes it not worth bothering. It's a shame because I generally thought they produced quality reliable kit but personally I have lost confidence in them now. :(

17. Tim Sage

Tim Sage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First the moan to the admins - All i wanted to do was pass on some info to help others, I had to make 6 atteptst due to your stupid front end. I dont give a damn about who refered me so I put any old C$%p to get rid. Please make it easier or jump ship.

As to the panny error I have a Panasonic DVD-RV62 about 5 years old and the Error F498 appeared. Not much gelp on the web except mention of dry joints, the curse of many a techie in a rush.

The fix that seems to work it to remove the lid, and look at the board to the right with the OMEGA chip (not the psu) with the power on, but dvd in the off position press down on the right hand side of said board , min has rhe numbers 26261P and REPD0003A. After pressing down (not too much force) press the power on button, and hey presto she rides.

Seems to be a whole batch of poor workmanship from the factory, but with luck you are still covered on the repair from panasonic, as U.K & Euto Law stated that if it is a defect at the point of manufacturer then it was faulty fron that point, it is simply a wait for the fault to manufest.

Good luck

Tim

18. philipjg

philipjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Tim, thank you for your reply to my query, a very helpful fix but unfortunately its about four years too late for my player.:smashin:

Strangely I have an identical one which I bought at the same time which is still going strong!

Thanks anyway though.