Panny EH60 received!!! Critics... Component input missing

JoseD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm dead happy with this machine except for the fact that it misses component input. I remember some people here mentioning their models had it.
I also noticed that the image quality is inferior when connecting my sat receiver throught the EH60 rather than directly to the tv (using composite).
I think this image degradation with SVHS or even better RGB is probably lower. Reason is probably that the EH60 is decoding/encoding it again. I think I'll get a decent scart switcher like the quintro from B-Tech.

I'm not aware of any dvd/hdd recorders with component inputs. Anyone know of such a model?

I'm not aware of any dvd/hdd recorders with component inputs. Anyone know of such a model?
No - there are currently no models with component input. Methinks someone is getting confused with Component Outputs (a popular output).

I also noticed that the image quality is inferior when connecting my sat receiver throught the EH60 rather than directly to the tv (using composite).
That is probably more to do with the quality of the cabling you are using. The EH60 does not re-encode when you are simply passing the signal through - although it does convert the signal (with some picture loss) if you are changing inputs, i.e. composite to S-Video. If pass through composite to composite (the worst type of connection BTW) then there should be no noticeable loss.

Yeah, not too sure of any with inputs, pretty much everything has component outputs though, including EH60.

Ah ok . I really remember some posts mentioning that.

Another problem in my system is that I can't see the EH60's tuner through RGB. AV1 output is set to RGB but the TV uses composite. If I press some button on the EH60's remote that makes a menu pop up the tv changes to RGB. When the menu is gone it switches to composite again. Strange. When I play something (HD or DVD) RGB is used though.

Don't get me wrong, overall I'm very happy with this machine. The quality of recordings and even playback is awesome.

@Rasczak
"If pass through composite to composite (the worst type of connection BTW) then there should be no noticeable loss."

Hi. There is loss! I'm using an high quality B-Tech cable to connect the EH60 to the TV and there's no reencoding (composite to composite in this case). I'll try this weekend with RGB...

@Rasczak
"If pass through composite to composite (the worst type of connection BTW) then there should be no noticeable loss."

Hi. There is loss! I'm using an high quality B-Tech cable to connect the EH60 to the TV and there's no reencoding (composite to composite in this case). I'll try this weekend with RGB...
If there is loss then something is wrong. Ensure you are not doing a conversion between composite and RGB.

@Rasczak

I just spent some time this morning playing with it and comparing all the image quality differences with each connection. Regarding the quality loss I described before, I found that when the EH60 is turned off and video is just passing though the image quality difference compared with a direct connection is unoticeable even with composite. However when I turn the unit on the image becomes a bit darker. Maybe this doesn't mean there's a loss of quality. The other day the image I was seing was dark and so the difference was even more noticeable.

I think this might be because when turned on, the EH60 is encoding (analog to digital) and decoding again to analog (composite, maybe RGB too, but like I said my TV changes to composite when the EH60's tunner is being used. It does change to RGB if I press something that makes a menu pop up). I say this because when there's too much rain interference you can see that it can't keep up with updating the image fast enouph or even maintaining it's rainny aspect. I guess the rain interference (weak signal) is too demanding for the encoder.

You also have an EH60 right ? Do you have the same problem I described above of not being able to see the analog tuner through RGB ? Maybe it's my TV set.

Cheers
José

I think you can't see the analogue tuner in RGB because analogue TV is transmitted in composite format in the first place. Presumably, the EH60 doesn't upconvert the analogue tuner to RGB, although it does upconvert external composite sources to RGB.

You also have an EH60 right ?
Yes I do. But I'm afraid I no longer assist in DVDR troubleshooting.

@Raskczak

Was just asking if you have the same problem not to try to find a solution for me :rolleyes:

Rasczac,
Can I ask why you no longer 'help'?
You've given some very helpful advice in your time. Is time the reason - I know it takes a lot of commitment etc. Personal or can't say ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom