1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny E95 - That Widescreen Flag Issue again!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mike@#36, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Here's a good one for you all, especially any Panny Engineers out there.

I have just bought a DMR E95 and very pleased with it indeed. Suspect it will take a few weeks to learn all it will do though?

However, on researching this purchase I discovered via this forum, and others, that Panasonics do not record the widescreen flags (but do rec widescreen via the setup process) and that you have to manually select 16:9 on the TV when playing back etc. Not a major problem and one I was prepared to sacrifice etc...

Guess what?, I used the personal planner on my sky box to control the recording, a system I prefer as it waits until the programme actually starts and finishes (a bit like PDC). This requires that you leave the E95 in standby mode by pressing the EXT Link button on the remote.

When I pressed play to watch the programme the TV automatically switched to Widescreen ???.

I checked with the normal Rec and Direct TV Rec buttons and using these methods of recording the TV does NOT automatically switch to Widescreen.

I have e-mailed Panasonic customer services to see what their explanation is for this, and if it is possible therefore to include the automatic switching on normal Rec modes, although have a sneaky suspicion I know what the reply will say. (I shall post Panasonics reply when it arrives)

In the meantime is anyone else aware of this ? and are there any Panasonic engineers out there who have any ideas about how the automatic switching (which obviously can be recorded and used) can be activated when using the Rec buttons as well as the Ext Link timer button.

For general info: all my kit is Panasonic (inc Sky Box), linked together with fully wired Scart cables as per the instruction manuals.

Thanks all

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I think your research is a little incorrect.

The Pan E95 will record the WS flag to HDD and RAM, as long as 'High Speed Rec' is set to OFF.

But the issue is mainly when dubbing or recording to DVD-Rs where the WS flag is NEVER recorded regardless of the above.

3. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes I know it does, the question is why doesn't it automatically switch the TV when a recording is made using either the 'REC' or 'Direct TV REC' buttons, but does when you set it to record via the Ext Link setting?

I shall check the high speed setting, although suspect as you say this relates to dubbing functions.

Mike

4. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well despite no reply from Panasonic to my e-mail, I have managed to speak to the local Shop@Panasonic, who gave me a service phone number, who gave me a local repair centre number.

The local repair chap took the machine away and spoke to other engineers who were equally baffled with this problem. The local engineer did run a re set programme using a special remote, however this did not cure the problem.

In short there is no solution except to leave the TV in 'Panasonic Auto - Just' mode. This ensures that the recorded programme diplays in widescreen etc. Unfortunately it still means that you have to change the mode back to 4:3 mode when watching a 4:3 programme, unless you can put up with the stretching etc.

I would still like to know however why the TV is able to identify a genuine widescreen recording if it was made using the timer (and ext link setting) but not from a recording that has been made using one of the buttons on the remote ??? :confused:

(Might raise this in the TV forum as well.)