Panny E95 STB/Dubbing Issues

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nijjyman, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Nijjyman

Nijjyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I made the plunge for a DVD/HDD Recorder, and thought long and hard about the JVC MH30, but opted for the Panasonic E95, due to Panasonic's brand, comprehensive feature list and the abiilty to view my images via SD Card, as well as the 160GB, and RGB input/output.

Having read some of the threads from Ovenglove, he certainly has listed some of my smaller issues with this deck, i.e. Timer Record button, inability to do anything with the HDD (except playback a title) during a HDD record, and the deck not showing the remaining time for a title (All inexcusable !).

However, I'm able to live with most of that, as the deck is a huge step-up from VCR's. But 2 issues are testing this believe. The first is STB control. I know whis could never be done in the VCR world, but is there anyway to make the E95, change the channel on my NTL digibox during a timer record on AV2 (My NTL channel). The second is that when I'm dubbing(transferring) to DVD-R/RAM in normal speed only, I cannot watch anything on my NTL digibox, until the transfer has completed.

I have a SCART (NTL Digibox TV --> TV AV2), and a SCART (E95 AV1 ----> TV AV1), and a SCART (E95 AV2 ---> NTL Digibox DVD/VCR). I've read a similar issue on one thread where Pin 8 needed to be taken out ?. Currently the only way around this at the moment is to always remove the SCART from the NTL Digibox. Not great !

Both these issues are areas that I would appreciate any help. I'm possibly thinking about changing to Sky+, but any thoughts in the meantime ?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I am not 'up' on NTL Digiboxes but assume they offer RGB output. Accordingly I strongly suggest you change that setup.

NTL TV Out > AV2 on the Panasonic E95 and then AV1 > TV AV1
    NTL VCR Out > TV AV2

Ensure that you set your NTL Digibox to output RGB Output and likewise for AV1/AV2 on the E95. The NTL VCR Out > TV connection will allow you to watch TV (albeit in composite) whilst dubbing and the connection through the E95 will allow best quality RGB recording.

The E95 can't do this. As I said to Ovenglove basic research prior to purchase would have revealed this and a model such as the Toshiba RDXS32 would have been recommended. Most of us here are quite happy without STB control though as we use Sky+ for timeshifting - my recommendation would be you go down that route.

3. Nijjyman

Nijjyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response. I assumed Sky+ was the way to go. Also, thanks for the response on set-up. Quality is better, but I'm having to re-select the AV channel each time, between use of the Recorder and NTL digibox. Not a problem though.

The toshiba was not a option, as I also required DV In, as well as 160Gb, so it really going came down to two. Like you've mentioned in other threads, I really see the next generation of recorders Panny E500, Sony HX1000, Toshiba XS34 really getting closer to everyone's wish list. I also think perhaps something most manufactuers should consider is WiFi. The E500 will have an Ethernet connection, which I assume you could connect to the laptop/WiFi Router. Great for additional editing feature's to enable the PC to handle advanced editing/archiving.

Anyhow, many thanks. Any thoughts on the other issue of E95 control of AV2 during dubbing ??

4. Nijjyman

Nijjyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak, apologies for not reading your replying right the way through. As you correctly pointed out, the new way of connecting, allows me to view my digibox (Composite) via AV2, during dubbing. I just checked last night. Thanks. :blush:

On a seperate question, are you able to transfer your recordings from your Sky+ box to your DVDR HDD, while you are watching another channel on Sky+ ?

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    No. Sky+ only has one MPEG decoder so when you are playing from the HDD that is all you can see from the box. I suggest you do transfer from Sky+ over-night or at some other time when you don't use Sky so it doesn't interfere.