1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny E85 set up?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by WarPig843, Oct 21, 2004.

1. WarPig843

WarPig843

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Being new to the dvd recorder world, Ive just purchased a Pannasonic DMRE85H and Im gettig a ghost effect on the TV screen. I can see a faint image of another tv channel which is scrolling right to left. This only occurs when viewing tv through the dvd recorder. Ive tried correcting it as per the units manual without success. Im using a scart connection but the leads are quite old. Should I invest in newer scart leads?
    Also, when setting the record timer, Im then unable to watch Sky. Is this normal or have I set it up wrong?
    Hope someone can help :lease: .

2. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, I know it's a long shot...

When you turn the DVD Recorder on does the TV set automatically switch to SCART input? If so, try selecting an unused channel on the television before turning on the E85 - so the TV is showing a black screen or "snow". Then turn on the recorder. This always works on my televisions, which always leave a ghost image of whichever channel the television was tuned to before switching on the DVD player.

3. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    On many TVs the External 2 (or AV2) scart can be set to output "TV" or "Monitor". If set to TV (Tuner ) it's possible to encounter crosstalk with less expensive scart leads.

It might be worth checking the television menus for this option just in case.

4. WarPig843

WarPig843

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for your replys but I still cant solve the problem of ghosting. Ive ordered a Thor scart lead so hope this helps when it arrives. Does anyone else have any suggestions?
    With regards to loosing the Sky picture when setting the record timer, perhaps I also need a scart from the Sky Box 'TV out', conected to the TV's 'AV in'.
    The ghost effect on the screen is realy bugging me now. :(

5. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I don't have an E85 just an E55 but I think the following will still apply.

You should have the Sky TV box connected to the input of the DVDR to enable recording in RGB. This may cure the problem, the better scart lead(s) should also help.

Connections should be

Sky TV out to DVDR RGB in scart (probably AV2)
    DVDR RGB out scart (probably AV1) to TV RGB in scart.

make sure all inputs/outputs are set to RGB.

After setting the record timer the box should go into standby so Sky should just pass straight through.

6. recorders4u

recorders4u

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi TheBear843

Ghosting on signals coming from DVD players/recorders often is caused by the scart lead.

Technically, theres signals going back and forth. Signals leaving the TV, and signals coming the other way from the recorder. What happen, is that the signal leaving the TV is partly transfered to the signal coming into the TV, because of bad shielding within the cable.

The proper solution is to change the scart lead, to a newer better type made for RGB devices (proper shielding).

/Lars

Forum for DVD- og HDD-optagere: www.recordere.dk

7. WarPig843

WarPig843

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks everyone, my new scart should arrive any day now and will hopefully solve the problem. I'll also check my connections as sugested. :thumbsup: