1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny E85 or Tosh RDXS32

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Monev, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Monev

Monev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help,

I have spent quite some time trying to decide which of the above pieces of equipment to purchase; and in reading through many of your postings I have come to the conclusion that there is not much between them.
    However, one point that seems to regularly pop up concerns the noise made by the Tosh.
    It will probably help in my decision if someone can answer the following questions.
    Does the Panny E85 make a noise comparable to the Tosh?
    Can anyone compare the Tosh noise to anything else to give me an idea of it's effect?

Thanks,
    Monev.

2. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Tosh's noise is nothing to be concerned about - i'm using my one in my bedroom, and i'm never more than a metre or so away from it. Even with very low tv volume, the Tosh is barely audible - you may notice a very slight 'rush of air' sound, but it's certainly not aggressive on the ears (a lot more pleasant than my PC is, anyways).
    Aside from that, you get the usual HDD clunking sound occasionally when accessing recordings, but again, it's never intrusive....

Not sure what i could compare the overall sound to, though - it doesn't hum or drone - it's more like whisper quiet breathing sound (and that's still not quite an accurate description). Either ways, it's not been a bother to me.

Hope that helped - if you're gonna be using it in a room bigger than mine, then i imagine you wouldn't hear it at all.
    Good luck in making the decision :smashin:

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    I have the Panny E85, it also has a slight hum but nothing too noticeable or distracting. A great user-friendly player!

4. GASJKH2

GASJKH2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the E85 and as this forum suggested, is a brilliant machine.
    I was in the same muddle as to whether to go for the Toshiba XS32 or the Panasonic E85, I plumped for the E85 in the end as it is user friendly and very powerful tool at editing also.

Great machine and worth every penny at sub £400 web price - get one.

Oh yeh, picture quality is absolute superb also! :smoke:

5. okcomputer331

okcomputer331

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about you but I like the sound of machines whirling away , especially hard disks spinning, it means they are working :)

i bought the E85, waiting for it to be delivered! judging from posts here you probably can't go wrong with either machine

6. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went for the Tosh because its got more options as far as disc media goes! But they are VERY similar machines....

7. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    You'll be disappointed with the E85 then! :D

Can't hear mine, excellent machine. :thumbsup:

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I find the XS32 quiet. In a quiet room you can hear some sound of the HDD, but it is not loud.

I went for the XS32 over the E85 as I wanted -RW and DV input.

Mark

9. Monev

Monev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,
    Appreciate your help and advice. Think I,ll go for the Tosh.
    Monev.

10. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Truly, you are blessed my child....

May your Tosh voyage be a fruitful and prosperous one....

(actually, scrap prosperous, cause i just remembered how much cash you have to hand over for one in the first place :D )

11. MrWarby

MrWarby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the Toshiba for Christmas and am very happy with recording TV and backing up VHS stuff.
    My TV is in the corner and the sound from the Recorder is like surround sound coming from all around the TV, (it lives behind a glass panel below the TV). The sound in not like fans in a pc, but at a lower frequency, like humming.
    I can live with this because of the other advantages of the Toshiba mentioned here in various threads.
    It's seems the luck of the draw and similar to TFT pc monitors with fully on/dead pixels - send it back and get one that is even worse in return.

The bottom line is that I prefer to watch a decent movie on my old Samsung DVD-709.

12. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One advantage of the Tosh is that it can control external Sat/Cable STBs for automatic channel selections when timer recording.

13. DPLeeds

DPLeeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the Tosh have EPG?

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Only the Philips DVD recorders have an EPG - there is a good reason for this. At present the system that provides the Philips EPG is Guideplus - this is the same company that provides the EPG on Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer (etc) DVD recorders in the US - however all those companies bar Philips declined to take the UK version due to a lack of bandwidth, i.e. the EPG doesn't get enough 'air time' to enable it to adapt to last minute programme alterations.

Might be worth you reading through this and this. And as I say do a search on Philips...

15. DPLeeds

DPLeeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just read through your link to 'Which DVD recorder' which I found very useful.

I record a lot of tv / ntl cable as I rarely watch programmes when they are scheduled.

I have looked at the top 5 hdd dvdr - am I right in thinking that i should be going for the one with the largest hdd capacity e.g the Panasonic DMR-E500 over the Toshiba RDXS32 (which has good reviews)?

On another site also saw mention of the Tosh RDXS52 - is that the model up from the 32, and if so what are it's extra features?

The Tosh 32 has an 80Gb HDD - how much top quality recording time does that represent?

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Glad someone has found it useful. It's been authored by three different people and it's still a little rough round the edges - but it's getting there. Aim is to make it a good starting point.

They are somewhat different machines. For one thing the Toshiba is £400 whereas the Panasonic is £1000 - that tends to makeup people's minds quite quickly. Certainly though nothing comes close to the recording quality of the E500 - 3 hours full resolution recording and excellent connectivity make it a good choice. The 400GB HDD is massive - whether you would need quite such as large HDD is subjective. In Standard Play the E500 will record 180 hours of TV onto it's HDD (about 90hrs at top quality). The 80GB of the Toshiba will hold around 36 hours (18 at top quality). With both machines you can use DVD-RAM as a 'HDD extension'. Maybe look at the Panasonic E95 as well - this offers 160GB (72 hrs standard play/36hrs top quality).

This is a Japanese model - we are not getting it here. In March we should be getting the Toshiba RDXS34 - an upgrade on the 32 model with a 250GB HDD, digital tuner (inc EPG) and HDMI connectivity. But details on that are very scarce at present.

17. MrWarby

MrWarby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Q1, Does anyone here own the Toshiba with a Nokia Mediamaster 9850 (OnDigital) STB?

Q2, Does anyone know the correct code? I've tried the ones in the manual and the links elsewhere in this forum seem to be unavailable.

This IR control was the deciding factor to go for the Toshiba, and I don't really want to buy a new STB with HDD and twin tuner (just yet) because my wife would grumble.

I've tried google and the pronto/remote central but no luck yet?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

18. paul1966

paul1966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My girlfriend got me the panny after much deliberation, absolutely brilliant :thumbsup:

With regard to RW, RAM etc etc etc. I dont think I will use either, with R discs costing 20p, plus a hard drive to record to first does it really matter :)

The pic quality is first rate, the sound HDD I cant hear at all and after an hour or reading the manual is easy to use.

I realise that this machine will be out of date soon, but since it has dropped from £600 to £350 in 6 months this is an excellent choice.

The tosh is probably as good, used to have a 220 which was an outstanding player, so either will be a good buy - at the moment I think the panny is slightly better.

Good luck :smashin:

19. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    99% of users will be the same. Like CD-RW, re-writeable DVDR is already used signficantly less than write-once media.

20. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's the 'theory'

now the 'truth' - there isn't a guide that adapts to 'last minute programme alterations' (which includes the broadcaster themselves) - the EPG is documented as updating 'each night' between 2-6 a.m. via ITV - in practise it also updates during day whilst ever tuned (or recording) from ITV and as a result is much more accurate than a TV magazine (which is what most people would use to set a recording)

it also support PDC (where the channel does) - i recorded over 50 movies over xmas (all set via EPG) & just watched a recording 2 days ago which started 10 seconds before the film with the announcement "now showing 20 minutes later than advertised..."

it does not get better than that!

21. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a point - Philips HDRW720 can control (switch channels) upto 3 external tuners - i'm using one with ntl digital (have also used it with ntl analogue tuner) - the Philips also has 6 hour time-slip (most machines are 30 minutes maxxed out - which means you can forget watching/recording a film that's slipped by - whereas on Philips you can watch 3 films you didn't plan to record and then record them 'after' you've watched them)

around 30 hours std play - Philips also have 160 gig version (wish i'd got)

Not saying Philips is your best choice - just saying it doesn't deserve the bad press it get's here

22. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the codes Philips use to control Nokia series of STB's

236, 279, 285, 287, 292, 294, 295

Prolly wont work but it's worth a try

23. MrWarby

MrWarby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jethro, unfortunately there are 4 digits to be entered.

The IR sender works because my pronto can "learn" the IR signal.
    The digibox has a wide area for IR reception as I tested it by covering up the front display in different places with tape.

Guess I'll have to keep searching.

24. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    The Philips does deserve the criticism it receives here, and in the magazines, and on other forums (Digital Spy, AVS Forums, VideoHelp). I would advise anyone to research the issue of Philips DVD recorders thoroughly before considering one. Bottomline is if one person tells you it is great, and dozens of others tell you it is rubbish, the odds are it IS rubbish.

A good review to look at is the November issue of What Video & Widescreen TV. This magazine did a Pioneer v JVC v Panasonic v Philips article testing the HDD/DVDR combis of each company. The JVC, Panasonic and Pioneer were all widely praised with 5/5 ratings across the board. The Philips got 3/5 and was slated for fetures, performance and picture quality :rolleyes: This seems the general consensus across the internet - don't take my word for it - do a search!

Ultimately everyoone has different standards of what they find acceptable. Most of us here do not believe the Philips reaches those standards. One person does....

25. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure why you think that most non-Philips machines can’t do more than 30 minutes of timeslip (wishful thinking perhaps?). The previous Panasonic range, for example, would do up to 6 hours of ‘Chasing Playback’ (to give it it’s Panasonic name since 'Timeslip' is slightly different). The current range probably does 8 (I expect somebody can confirm?).

BTW Panasonic uses the term ‘Timeslip’ to mean skipping forward or backwards in minute or 10-minute intervals during playback (which may be Chasing Playback or otherwise). Timeslip isn’t limited to 30 minutes either.

26. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Confirmed

27. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The Toshiba XS32 with 80 GB HDD: 35+ hours at SP setting (4.6); 18+ hours at the maximum quality setting of 9.2. Oh, and 106 hours at lowest quality setting, but you probably won't want to use that...

Mark

28. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    I have panasonic e-85 and im very happy with it.As regards Philips recorders ive never owned one and never will.My view of Philips are they invent brilliant products but when it actually comes to producing them they end up unreliable,cheap and poorly built.

29. DPLeeds

DPLeeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is DVD-RAM a disc you put in the machine like -R or +R? How is it a HDD extension?

Is the only difference between the Panasonic E95 and the E500 the size of the HDD?

Is it correct that only the Toshiba will control my ntl set top box?

30. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    No. The E500 offers the following features over the E95:
    - 5.1 decoding for DVD-Audio, DD, DTS.
    - MPEG4 recording and playback.
    - Ethernet connection for watching the HDD content in another room and (in future) an online EPG.
    - 400GB (as opposed to 160GB) HDD
    - Improved video stabiliser

DVD-RAM is a disc you put in the machine like a DVD-R/DVD+R. However whereas you'll generally use the latter type of discs day to day for archiving or lending to friends you will only use DVD-RAM for temporary storage of programmes when you want to format the HDD or store programmes long term. DVD-RAM effectively has seemless operation with the HDD on those machines so you can dub backwards and forwards digitally as many times as you like without loosing quality.