1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny E85 dubbing questions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Phineus, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Phineus

Phineus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my E85 for a few months now, but today is the first time I've tried to dub. I selected 3 programmes (3 x 2 hours - recorded in EP mode) from my HDD to transfer to DVD-R. When I tried to select 'high speed dub' I got a message saying this was not an option. Why? is this because I recorded the 3 programmes in EP mode? If so should I record in another mode in future?

Anyway I went ahead and selected EP and I am now dubbing, but is it going to take 6 hours? Am I transfering in real time?

Lastly; I'm giving this DVD-R to a friend, do I have to 'finalize' the disk?

Any help much appreciated.

2. Mar©

Mar©

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I think so - I am performing the same thing - and it seems it is copying in real -time: I am at 94/100 now.

Could it be we need 8 speed media or so ?

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I believe you need to enable the option of high speed dubbing before initially recording the program to the hard drive.

Anyway, why on earth would you want to archive at ep mode, don't the programs have any value to you, and hence should be at least in about sp mode(possibly using FR to exactly fill the media).

Personally I think you would be better recording to the hard drive in at least sp mode and putting no more than 2 hours on a -r. They are after all only around 30p a go now. When I first got my recorder they were around £1.25 each and there was a lot more incentive to save on media cost, but even then sp was the worst I would accept, except for the odd film of over 2 hours.

4. Phineus

Phineus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, maybe we do need 8X - I'm using 4X.

I'm checking through the manual to see if there is a minimum recording mode required in order to fast dub. Page 35 has an interesting table. As I read it; a 6 hour EP recording on the HDD should take 15 mins (but it's not an easy table to read).

More importantly though are the two footnotes -the second reads as follows:

* Depending on the condition of the disc, the unit may not transfer (dub) using the maximum speed.

What does that mean? I'm using brand new Panasonic 4X speed discs. I'm almost sure our 'real time' problem is because we originally recorde in EP mode.

5. Phineus

Phineus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe you need to enable the option of high speed dubbing before initially recording the program to the hard drive.

Yes that's possible but I can't find it in the manual. Nor would it seem pragmatic to select it BEFORE recording. It should be a default option, after all how any people want to dub in real time.

Anyway, why on earth would you want to archive at ep mode, don't the programs have any value to you, and hence should be at least in about sp mode(possibly using FR to exactly fill the media).

Personally I think you would be better recording to the hard drive in at least sp mode and putting no more than 2 hours on a -r. They are after all only around 30p a go now. When I first got my recorder they were around £1.25 each and there was a lot more incentive to save on media cost, but even then sp was the worst I would accept, except for the odd film of over 2 hours.

I originally recorded in EP mode in the belief that I could fit all 3 programmes (6 hours) onto 1 DVD-R. And the subject matter is mainly textual (GCSE maths lessons, for use in a classroom). So there is now need for a higher quality recording.

Personally I don't think you should presume to lecture me on the price of discs - my discs are £1 each, but that's not the issue here. I wanted my 3 GCSE progs on one disc, and my Key stage 3 on another. My decision had nothing to do with cost! Maybe you should ask first before deciding my reasons were cost based!

6. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Phineus, if you want to dub at high speed you need to select the high-speed compatible mode in the setup menu before you record.

Furthermore, even if you've recorded in HS-compatible mode you can only dub at high speed if no rate conversion is required - i.e. if the recordings will fit on the disc without needing to be compressed further.

All dubbing other than high speed will be in real time, no matter how fast your discs are.

If you want to record 6 hours of programs for later high-speed transfer you need to make sure they will all fit on one disc. You can either record them in a low-quality mode that you know will fit, or use Flexible Recording (FR). FR tries to make a recording just the right size to fit on a single disc at the best quality possible. It therefore needs to know in advance how long the recording will be.

If you wanted to record three 2-hour programs for later high-speed transfer to a single disc you would need to fool the machine into thinking that each one was 6 hours long by using the FR menu item and telling it to record for 6 hours, even though you'll stop it after 2 hours (if you use timer recording, tell it to record for 6 hours then just edit out the extra 4 hours). This will make each recording exactly a third of the size of a DVD (well, fractionally under a third actually). Thus when you go to dub them later they won't need to be converted and can be dubbed at high-speed.

But don't forget to set the machine to high-speed compatible recording first!

7. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phineus if you enable DVD-R compatible mode it gives you the option to HS dub (size allowing) or to dub in real time. So you get the choice. If you don't enable it, you can only dub in real time.

8. Phineus

Phineus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much Nelviticus and Oardvd. I have now set my unit up as advised to enable high-speed dubbing. Although it appears that I may have to put with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Interesting about the speed of discs not affecting dubbing time.

9. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    It will still record the same picture as is broadcast - either 4:3 or 16:9 - it just won't record the 'flag' that identifies whether it's 4:3 or 16:9. What this means is that when you play back the DVD your TV won't be sent the signal that tells it which mode to switch to. You'll have to set the mode manually (or use smart zoom if your TV has it).

The burner in the recorder is 4x speed so there's no point using discs that are capable of being burned faster than that, you'll just be wasting money. They'll still work but they'll be burned at 4x (or slower if you're not doing high-speed dubbing).