Panny E85 Connection Help Needed Please!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GadgetMadBoy, Mar 5, 2005.

1. GadgetMadBoy

GadgetMadBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently bought a Panasonic E85H but despite being an experienced AV buyer, can't seem to make it recognise the channels from my Freeview box. I've taken one unit back, but the new one still has the same problems (I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong....).

I've connected exactly as the manual states (the Freeview box suggests I hook it up differently, which I've tried) and have been at it for five hours! I've tried setting up the inputs on my TV and the E85 every way possible, but it still doesn't find and channels on set up.

Could someone tell me: Why the set up instructions show a basic ariel connection is required all the way through the connections, as this seems to encourage the E85 only to recognise BBC1 on channels 1-17?? Surely you should just need Ariel > Freeview and then scarts from Freeview to TV and E85??

Any suggestions or am I just being really thick?

Cheers :thumbsup:

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Freeview channels will be on L1 (or whatever Panasonic call the AV to which your Freeview box is connected). The setup only detects the (analogue) channels from the aerial; it doen't have a digital tuner. If you were looking for the Freeview channels on the E85 tuner you probably exchanged the unit unnecessarily.

You feed the aerial 'all the way through' so you can use the E85 analogue tuner and the TV tuner. If you never use the tuners on the E85 or your TV you can omit all the aerial connections except into the Freeview box. But if you do that you won't be able to watch a different channel from the one you are recording.

Here are the standard connections:

Aerial -> Freeview box aerial-in
    Freeview aerial-out -> E85 aerial-in
    E85 aerial-out -> TV aerial-in
    Freeview TV scart-out -> TV scart in - use the RGB scart
    Freeview VCR scart-out -> E85 scart-in (usually L1 / AV2)
    E85 scart-ou (AV1) -> another TV scart (use s-video or RGB if available)

To record digital select L1 on E85. You can watch analogue using TV tuner.
    To record analogue use E85 tuner. you can watch digital through TV scart from Freeview box.

3. GadgetMadBoy

GadgetMadBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks a lot, I've discovered where I was going wrong on the connections from your advice!

However, despite selecting the right inputs and settings, I'm only getting audio from the E85!

4. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yep L1 is called AV2 on the E85, the output to the TV is AV1.

Check your settings:
    Freeview TV scart and your TV AV1 are set to RGB.
    Freeview VCR scart and E85's AV2 both set to s-video (or video/composite if s-video is not available on F/v box)
    E85 AV2 also set to Ext Link 1.
    E85 AV1 and TV AV2 both set to S-video (or video/composite if s-video not available on TV AV2)

5. GadgetMadBoy

GadgetMadBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All sorted, many thanks to respondees!