1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny E85 and High Speed Dub

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by raigraphixs, Apr 28, 2004.

1. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,685
    Hi,

I copied onto DVD-RAM last night for the first time, using high speed transfer HST).

Then later I tried to copy a second film to the same DVD-RAM (9.4gb double sided). a box came up, saying would i like to copy in FR (flexible record) mode.

Why cannot I use HST mode again?. Am i doing something wrong.

Why cannot I just select a recoding on the HDD and copy it to DVD-RAM is HST mode.

Is the only way to do this is via the High Speed Dubbing section is to create a playlist*

* Is a playlist, a series of thumbnails (titles) on the DVD-RAM or -R.

The manual does not explain what each feature actually does. I'm no idiot, but this recorder/s would be very hard for novices to understand.

thanks

rai

2. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Granted, the Panny manuals are not the best but they seem to cover most things although not always in a logical order. Sometimes going back & rereading older sections makes more sense after you’ve read newer ones (if that makes any sense! :) )

In answer to your question, are you sure that there’s enough room on the disc for the new movie? You say you’re using a double sided disc – are you using the correct side that you want? I don’t know if you’re trying to add the second film to the first on the same side, or adding it to the other side (blank?). High Speed copying involves a simple file transfer with no recoding taking place which means it will take up the same amount of disc space as the original. There are 2 ways to check for enough space on the E100 (I’m assuming that the E85 is the same):

1) When attempting the dub: In the dubbing list check to see that the ‘Total’ value (in MB) doesn’t exceed the ‘Remain’ value, ie. the free space available on the disc. If it's bigger, you won't be able to high speed dub. You’ll have to re-encode it to a lower quality using FR.

2) More generally: To check the size of a programme on the HDD, hit the ‘Direct Navigator’ button. Then place your cursor bar over your programme entry and press the right arrow button. Select ‘Properties’ from the drop-down box. This will tell you how long the recording is in minutes. Also note the recording quality (XP, SP, etc.). If you want to check the remaining disc space on the RAM disc then press ‘DVD’ and then press the Status button twice. You’ll see the remaining time in minutes for the quality selected. You may need to press the ‘Rec mode’ button a couple of times to select the same quality that the programme is recorded in (eg. SP if the programme is SP). If the time displayed is less than the value in the properties box then you’ll have to re-encode.

A Playlist entry is a record that you set up whereby you can define the length of individual scenes by setting start/end points. Having done that, you sequence the order of play of those scenes. Setting up a Playlist is facilitated by having convenient thumbnails for the purpose of easy reference. This makes it very easy to add / delete / copy / change the order of individual scenes at a later date if you wish. Playlists do not change the actual programme (unlike Partial Erase which permanently deletes). Playlists can be high speed dubbed in the same way as programmes.

Hope this helps.

3. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,685
    Hi,

Thanks mate for info. I printout and read tonight and try it.

rai