Panny E55 - novice needs help & advice!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rudebhoy, Dec 24, 2004.

1. rudebhoy

rudebhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone,

Just got one these (bought from Coop Electrical online - £189. Ordered 8pm Monday 21/12, was here 9am Wed 23rd!)

Anyway, setup all seems ok apart from VCR. I have a Hitachi VCR and i want to copy some tapes before scrapping. I have a problem and a question ...

Problem - The VCR has a couple of scarts and a AV bit with two sockets, a red one and a white one. As the scart on the E55 is used up by my Sky box, I tried to connect the VCR to the E55 by using the AV cable. Obviously there was nowhere for the yellow cable to go. It doesn't work. Any ideas? Am I doing something really dumb?

Advice - I have a large collection of prerecorded VHS musis tapes which I'd like to copy to DVD before taking them to the car boot sale. Will these copy ok once i sort the problem above?

Finally ... a bit more advice please! I'd quite like to get rid of my big and bulky Sony hifi. I'd also like to improve the sound when playing DVDs. Should I buy a conventional-type amp and speakers and connect them to my E55, or am I better buying a home cinema 5.1 system? What's best for playing music with the telly off? Looking to spend £200 max, hopefully less if possible.

Thanks for your patience as this probably seems like a bit of a ramble for a first post!!

All help/advice gratefully received. Cheers.

2. dempsey

dempsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think your only option here given the lack of available scarts is to use an RF cable and manually tune a channel into your DVD recorder to receive output from the VCR.

3. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess you could take the scart from the Sky box while your doing the copying and put it back when finished. I know this might be a bit of a drag - no sky while copying but its a cheap solution.

Mike

4. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or you could plug your sky box into the VCR, from the VCR to the dvd rec, and dvd rec to the tv. Oviously you will need additional cables for this. as you are planning to ditch the VCR once you have backed up your old tapes, then why not connect sky directly to the TV while connecting the video to the E55? If your TV has 2 scart sockets then you could still monitor what was being recorded on another AV channel.

for backing up pre-recorded videos you will have to check for copyeight protection on the video. The E55 won't let you record from a protected source. you can get round this by using a macro blocking scart cable - do a google or ebay search.

5. den911

den911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i posted same question as you i got a reply of a member user name jem i set up e65 the way he posted and evrything worked fine . i then added one of those 3in 1 scart adapters i put it in av2 in tv and then added the sky scart to it then i added one from the vcr out scart . i pick av2 out 0n the dvd recorder i get the running time of film put that in flexi recording press play on vcr then rec on dvd and away you go . when i finish i finalize the disc . i did not know anything about al this on sunday and i have done loads of recording i have just put my wedding video on dvd . i even get digital stereo through my digital amp and must say the panasonic for the price is brilliant . hope some of this helps . if you search the threads you will find the set up you need , all the people on this forum are really helpful. good luck

6. den911

den911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i posted same question as you i got a reply of a member user name jem i set up e65 the way he posted and evrything worked fine . i then added one of those 3in 1 scart adapters i put it in av2 in tv and then added the sky scart to it then i added one from the vcr out scart . i pick av2 out 0n the dvd recorder i get the running time of film put that in flexi recording press play on vcr then rec on dvd and away you go . when i finish i finalize the disc . i did not know anything about al this on sunday and i have done loads of recording i have just put my wedding video on dvd . i even get digital stereo through my digital amp and must say the panasonic for the price is brilliant . hope some of this helps . if you search the threads you will find the set up you need , all the people on this forum are really helpful. good luck