Panny E55 Interference

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fugi1967, Apr 29, 2004.

1. fugi1967

fugi1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My set up is as follows

TIVO RGB out to 2 way distribution amp output 1 to Panny AV1, output 2 to LG Plasma tuner AV1
    SKY TV out to TiVo
    Panny AV2 to LG AV2
    Tivo Aux to VHS
    Panny RF in from 2nd Sky box
    Panny RF out to LG

I have it wired like this so that I can watch/rec either my 2nd Sky box (which is upstairs) or watch Tivo whilst it records something different from my downstairs sky box.(a diy SKY + Arrangement)

My problem is that as soon as I turn the E55 on I get interference on AV1 whilst trying to watch Tivo/sky. I have swapped scart leads/ inputs arround trying to get arround the problem. If I unplug EVERYTHING (except mains) from the E55 the problem is still there which leads me to believe that it is some sort of radio interference from the panny , anything I can do????:lease:

2. fugi1967

fugi1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    P.S The Panny is sitting directly on the LG Tuner box so I raised it up with a couple of DVD boxed sets to provide a gap and still got the interference.

3. fugi1967

fugi1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PPS . I have discovered that the interference only seems to start after about 30 mins of the DVD player being on so could it be heat related ?? It does however dissapear imediatelty when the DVD is switched off. Ther interference washes out pale areas of the picture and produces ghosting.

4. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are quite right that it is most likely interference is causing your problems. Besides the Panny generating RF interference your plasma may not have sufficient protection (RF immunity) from external RF interference.

Under European regulations your equipment is required to meet the following standards for AV equipment:

EN55013 for RF emissions
    EN55020 for RF immunity (protection from RF interfernce)

Check if these are state in your user guides. If you Plasma does not have a tuner the following standards will apply:

EN55022 for RF emissions
    EN55024 for immunity

What you need to do is to proof which item is failing the standard and complain to the manufacturer, because they are legally bound to meeting these standards.

Was there any ferrites (plastic clip on magnet looking things) with your Plasma or DVD? If there was trying installing them as instructed by the user guide. There was a whole bag of ferrites included with my Panny Plasma, but luckily I did not suffer any problems and did not need to install them.

5. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, the 30 mins delay you mention points towards a power supply as the source because as it heat up the RF generated often changes.

6. fugi1967

fugi1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    888 Thank you for your replys. I decided to experiemnt with the order of the units and it seems to have solved the problem. Initially I had (from the top) :-

Sky box, E55, LG Tuner, Toshiba VHS, TIVO.

I have changed it to :-

Sky box, LG Tuner, Toshiba VHS, E55, TIVO

This seems to have solved the problem.

Fugi