1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny E55 help needed

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by finnis, Apr 15, 2004.

1. finnis

finnis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just bought a Panny E55 and have set it up today. Very impressed, I have to say, but there are a few things I could do with some help on.

1) I've been recording all the recently broadcast episodes of Bilko on to Sky+ and now want to transfer them to DVD. I was hoping to do this four at a time, which isn't a problem. However, am I right in thinking you can only assign one title per recording? I'd like to give each episode its proper title, but can't work out how to do it without copying each episode individually.

2) I'm assuming that after I've edited out all the unwanted bits between episodes I'm going to be able to put the DVD-Ram disk into my DVD player (another Panasonic) and simply transfer to DVD-r disk using the recorder?

3) That said, and if possible, what's the best way to connect the DVD player and recorder? I've got a spare scart on my JVC TV but it's the RGB one which produces dark-ish pictures. If I simply connect my DVD player to the scart, will I end up getting recordings which are darker than I would like or will they be unaffected?

Sorry for the long post - hope you can help!

Ade

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you are copying to ram, copy four episodes as you want, and then use the divide function to split them up. You can then re-title each of the individual programs you end up with.

The problem is, as soon as you try and transfer to -r by playing in another machine, you will end up with one recording again if you use seamless play, or several programs if you record each individually which is a lot of hassle, and I don't believe there is anyway to then add the titles back on the -r, as you can only title the media. (I may be wrong as I have never tried this myself)

You would have been better getting a recorder with a hdd, this would have made this simple to do, as you can dub straight to the -r with all the programs edited and titled as you want.
    It would probably be easier now to buy a dvd -ram compatible recorder to go in your compter and do it there. Suitable recorders with basic software are now under £100. Once you have this, it is also easy using freeware to back up proprietary dvd's as well.

If you want to record from your player, connect the player to the av2 in scart and record as you play. There should be no problems as the -ram is unprotected.

3. finnis

finnis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks. Ken. Appreciate the help. Didn't really want to go down the HD recorder route as I've spent enough on AV gear lately and I got the E55 for under £230, multi-region. When prices come down, may have a re-think. The computer option sounds like it may be a goer, though.

Am still waiting on my delivery of DVD-r discs, so I'll have to see how I get on with the titleing thing.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the kit. Probably be out of date in 12 months, though!

4. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Don't want to start another thread so i'll latch onto yours if that's OK.

Does the E55 play SVCD discs (E50 doesn't), is the only thing putting me off.

5. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Does the E55 play SVCD discs (E50 doesn't), is the only thing putting me off.

It played a DVD I made consisting of 4 SVCD burnt onto 1 DVD-R using SVCD2DVD OK. Doesn't directly answer your question though, as this software re-writes MPEG2 headers.

6. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    2) I'm assuming that after I've edited out all the unwanted bits between episodes I'm going to be able to put the DVD-Ram disk into my DVD player (another Panasonic) and simply transfer to DVD-r disk using the recorder?

I bought a cheap LG DVD reader whichs reads DVD-RAm for my PC from EBuyer and use this to do fine edits on TMPGAuthor. I then transfer to DVR+RW so I can use them in my main player, a Philips 963SA.