Panny E55 Available

S

sifowler

AV Sales have just informed me they have my E55 in stock and are delivering tomorrow. Has anyone got hold of this bit of kit yet ? If so, whats your initial thougts ?

wozwebs

Does it play DVD-Audio? Doesn't mention it on the AV-Land site but when you click to view the large image it says DVD Audio / Progressive Scan on the front.

ixi

Originally posted by puddleduck
AV-Land are about to get theirs too. £249 inc. MR :)

Hi,

Could you tell me how I can get AVland to come down to £249 from the £269 on their website. I noticed you mentioned [email protected], but their price of £249 needs P&P added.

Cheers

Ian

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
The Panasonic E55 is NOT a DVD-Audio player. It will play the discs like any DVD player will but it can only read the low resolution Dolby Digital multichannel and stereo tracks. If you want to make the most of the DVD-Audio format then buy a dedicated machine for this something like the Arcam DV89 which I use.

puddleduck

Could you tell me how I can get AVland to come down to £249 from the £269 on their website.

I already ordered at £269 but found it cheaper at AVSales and [email protected], so I e-mailed them, and they offered £249 inc. delivery and MR.

BTW mine shipped Friday, so should have it by Monday.

ixi

I emailed them with the av-sales details, and they pointed out that it wasn't multi-region. And the same applies to [email protected] Perhaps you just got them on a good day!

any other ideas?

Cheers

Ian

p.s. Any idea if all the output from the component connections is prog scan for telly and other inputs, not just dvd?

puddleduck

Uh? it does, just only 2 channel like the Panasonic S35 DVD player and E100 Recorder

Cheers for the backup - I was sure it DID do 2 channel DVD-Audio, but Crustyloafer seemed so assertive in his post that it didn't I was starting to question my sanity :)

Anyhow, my E55 from AV-Land arrived at 11:15am this morning, but won't get to play with it til later - I'll report back though :)

puddleduck

ixi:

I emailed them with the av-sales details, and they pointed out that it wasn't multi-region. And the same applies to [email protected] Perhaps you just got them on a good day!

any other ideas?

I think I got lucky - I e-mailed them on 19/03/2004 and I'm pretty sure [email protected] were saying on their site that the E55 was MR and the price included free shipping, but I see now, there is no mention of MR and they want £9.90 P&P too..!

ixi

Yep, phoned AVland today and managed £259 as a pricematch against Multregionmagic. They said that they hadn't checked some previous pricematches :D

Can you tell me if it definitely only has Optical digital out?

Cheers

Ian

puddleduck

Can you tell me if it definitely only has Optical digital out?

Will do as soon as I get home, will post again this evening :)

S

sifowler

Yes, its only got an optical out.

I've daisy chained my Sky+ through the E55 to the RGB SCART on the TV.

I think I'll be keeping my DVD player as I can watch a DVD while archiving from Sky+ to E55. So my player now lives on AV2 enabled s-video and the picture quality is excellent, can't spot much difference to RGB.

The only problem I've found is that I tried to connect my VCR to E55 via scart to composite (AV4 input) and the E55 doesn't seem to show a picture from the VCR. Not sure whats going on there.

Cool As Blu

Standard Member
what discs are you using Si ?

W

Wraith

Sifowler

Hi Got mine this morning i have the same prob with the vcr. Have you had any luck yet?

Mind you my VCR is old mabey time for a new one

Is your 55 MR i havnt checked mine yet?

puddleduck

Mine from AVLand is definately MR!

Doesn't come with any blank media though, so won't be able to record anything tonight though...!

S

sifowler

Some DataSafe double sided RAMS - got them for about £6.50 each inc P&P from ukdvdr. No problems with them yet.

Sorry, this is a reply to Cool as Blu, I forgot to quote your thread.

S

sifowler

Originally posted by Wraith
Sifowler

Hi Got mine this morning i have the same prob with the vcr. Have you had any luck yet?

Mind you my VCR is old mabey time for a new one

Is your 55 MR i havnt checked mine yet?

Mine is definately MR.

Still no luck with VCR. I might try it in AV3 see if makes a difference. The manual seems to say you can use AV4 for VCR input.

Free To Air

Optical Digital Out Query:

Does the Panasonic E55 only have optical digital audio out and no analogue phono audio outs or does it have optical digital out and not optical digital in.

The AV-Land web site shows a connection diagram with analogue phono lineouts & ins.

Regards
moonbase

S

sifowler

Originally posted by moonbase
Optical Digital Out Query:

Does the Panasonic E55 only have optical digital audio out and no analogue phono audio outs or does it have optical digital out and not optical digital in.

The AV-Land web site shows a connection diagram with analogue phono lineouts & ins.

Regards
moonbase

It does have analogue phone outs as well as the optical digital out. As well as the phono outs there is also a video and s-video out.

It has 2 scarts at the back along with AV4 composite and s-video inputs as well as component video out. There is also an AV3 composite and s-video input at the front.

puddleduck

Some DataSafe double sided RAMS - got them for about £6.50 each inc P&P from ukdvdr.

They come up at £8.02 inc. 2nd class P&P for me. Will hold off, as 7DayShop shipped my 5 pack of Panasonics on Monday for under £17 all in.

S

sifowler

Originally posted by puddleduck
Some DataSafe double sided RAMS - got them for about £6.50 each inc P&P from ukdvdr.

They come up at £8.02 inc. 2nd class P&P for me. Will hold off, as 7DayShop shipped my 5 pack of Panasonics on Monday for under £17 all in.

Are them Panasonics single sided ?

I've just had look on UKDVDR and the Datasafe 9.4GB DVD-RAM say 5.85 each inc VAT (not inc P&P).

puddleduck

Very impressed with the PAL Progressive capabilities of this machine :) Shows up as 675P. You need to disable RBG SCART output though, before you can enable Progressive, or you just get a B&W picture through component.

Its NOT as good as my current Philips 963SA (what is though, under £1000?), but it does a damn good job :)

MP3 playback is also very good, with a surprisingly decent file browser. Shows up directory names, and ID3 tags just fine.

As to disc compatibility, it won't play back home made burnt DVD+R media, but then its not spec'd to, so no harm done there.

It will play the CD layer of Hybrid SACD just fine (many DVD players won't do this).

Overall, an absolute steal for £249 inc. shipping and MR, and I've not even used its record facilities yet... ;)

puddleduck

Are them Panasonics single sided ?

OUCH at the grammar, but yes, they are.

I've just had look on UKDVDR and the Datasafe 9.4GB DVD-RAM say 5.85 each inc VAT (not inc P&P).

Exactly - add P&P and its over £8. Still a good price, but I can wait for my 5 pack. Also already have a Datasafe 9.4gb on order from Ebuyer - worked out cheaper for me, as I had a free shipping token.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sennheiser Consumer Electronics acquired by Sonova
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett