• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panny E55 and TDK-R 8x discs

Biker Dave

Have just tried copying from camcorder to my Panny E55 via the front AV3 input using TDK-R 8x disc. I have used these discs in my pc to record and then play in my E55 previously and all works OK. After 15 secs the Panny throws a wobbly and rejects the disc and goes back into self check mode. Tried copying onto my Panny RAM disc and all was fine. Then tried a Infiniti disc 4x and that was OK. Then tried the same onto my in laws E55 and this time the TDK disc was OK! Their E55 is region 2 bought Dec 04 and mine is multi reg bought Apl 04. Have Panny made mods? I have contacted Panny because their website only sells 8x discs; they inform me that their discs will work. I have no issue paying more for discs if they will work but it does rack me off that I now have 50 TDK discs that are only OK for PC use and I'm going to have to buy new discs for camcoreder use, slightly defeating in the bulk cost saving! I have looked in the forums and people have had similar issues but how do we avoid this?

Delh68

8 X Datawrite dvd-r's are spat out by my E55 ~ I remember somewhere mentioning a unofficial firmware upgrade for UK E55's, on this very Forum i think! ~ Believe it was within a E85 thread if that is any help.~ Haven't tried it myself.

Delh68

nialli

Wouldn't recommend the firmware route unless you're 100% sure what you're doing.

I think it's a problem with the leader that's written to the disk. It affected my E85 when dubbing to x8 discs (most manufacturers) but didn't affect discs dubbed at high-speed. Not much use on the E-55 I know. It's bloody annoying that Panasonic acknowledge the problem and provide a firmware patch in the US, but deny there's a problem in the UK.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I've found that on my E55 and E85 DVD-Rs that use the Taiyo Yuden dye are fine.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Does anyone know if those Verbatim Pastel discs are still availlable anywhere ?

Gavtech

Administrator
Does anyone know if those Verbatim Pastel discs are still availlable anywhere ?

Hi John

I don't unfortunately... but if it is any help... those of us with '8X era' Panasonic machines have been finding that Taiyo Yuden 16X in their various brand forms [ Panasonic, Verbatim, TY ] have worked fine.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that, I'll get myself some of the Panasonic ones and give them a try :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom