Panny E50 -R discs and archive set up ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by the.jackall, Jan 2, 2004.

1. the.jackall

the.jackall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought one of these panasonic e50 recorders which im quite impressed with.
    Would I be right in thinking the best way to archive your vhs is by using scart to scart ?
    I did a test run which came out good however i was wondering if the s-video connection or the three (red,white,yellow, leads would give me better transfers.
    Whats the best discs to buy for archiving on -R ?
    Ive used the bulkpaq 4 speeds which do the job with no coasters but can i be using better ?
    Is there a disc which will give you higher performence recordings of longer than 2 hours or are they all about the same ?

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    standard VHS can only output a composite signal so scart is your best bet. It is impossible to improve the quality of the original recording and vhs are usually quite noisy recordings so you would be better off sticking to small recording lengths

bukpaq are notoriously unreliable but if they work for you stick with them as the discs themselves can not improve quality

you can buy double sided ram for around £5

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If the media work, then the quality will be nearly identical between one make and the next as the recording is digital.
    Therefore the only difference in quality is related to the time recorded on the media. Personally I wouldn't go beyond 2hrs 15 mins when recording from a digital source. For archiving vhs 4hrs would probably be ok.
    BulkpaQ are notorious for not being reliable in panasonic machines, better to use datawrite grey or yellow. Reds are ok as long as you finalise in one session without removing the media from the machine.

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,571
    I wouldnt use anything that carrys the name of Datawrite or Bulkpaq, if you do you are asking for trouble, I have been burning dvdrs for a year now and those 2 brands are the worst there are, sure you will get good burns but 6+months down the line dont be suprisied if the disc doesnt read very well anymore and finally one day it will refuse to read at all, has happened to me and many other people, stick with quality media like RITEK, discs I burned last xmas are still going strong now.

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ritek are a definate no-no for most of the panasonics as they don't seem to like the dye, and you are lucky if your machine will work with them. Datawrite have got a much better reputation for panasonics on this and other forums.

6. krismcewan

krismcewan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been using both bulkpaq and datawrite in my panny and they work great.

And as a point of note the above brands use ritek dye

7. sandy2011

sandy2011

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0