Panny E50 AND 5.1?

D

danny-p

Hi ,
Arond 3 weeks ago i connected sky+ via s-video into my panny E50 then the s-video out to my plasma....All works fine picture wise but i had left the sky+ digital optical cable connected from back of sky+ to the imput on my amp and although sound worked it was out of sync like an old Jackie Chan movie .
So i used the sky+ digital optical and connected it from the opt out from the back of the E50 and sound worked in perfect sync so i left it.
Now last night i was watching lord of the rings on sky and after pressing the (i) button noticed that it should be playing back in DD5.1 and there was no blue light on the front of my amp indicating that it was doin this?
On closer inspection it was only playing back in dolby surround?
Can anyone shed light on this?
Thanks

Danny

"Can anyone shed light on this?"

Yes, you've got your wires crossed, so to speak!

Lip-synch when routing a picture via certain (all?) Panasonic DVD recorders is a known issue. They record in synch, but routed signals will look out of synch.

The Optical connector on the back of the E-50 is output only; no set-top DVD recorders on the market record a 5.1 signal anyway - and even if the E-50 did how would it get to the amp with the connections you describe?

If you are watching LOTR on Sky+,you won't get 5.1 as you have no digital sound connection from Sky+ to your amp.
Why not connect Sky via RGB to another socket on your tv,so it goes direct and not through another device?Then reconnect the optical lead to the amp-all should be in sync.

I thought for one very small moment that some one at last had bought out a DVD recorder with digital input :)......only a very small moment mind you :)
It sound to me as though youve got the optical from your Sky+ box going to the optical on your E50, and the Coaxial output from the E50 to ypur amp ??? but the optical isnt an imput.
Well this is what I thought you had done but ive just had a look and as far as I can tell by looking on the net the E50 only has optical out (no Coaxial) so I realy havnt a clue how youve connected it to the amp.
But then again........ no good im still confused

So i used the sky+ digital optical and connected it from the opt out from the back of the E50

how ????

I think he used his optical lead to connect the E50 to the amp,or the Sky+ to the E50,,and expects the 5.1 to loopthrough like the picture.

Originally posted by phelings
I think he used his optical lead to connect the E50 to the amp,or the Sky+ to the E50,,and expects the 5.1 to loopthrough like the picture.

Easy guys!
Being relatively new to this myself i was unsure how to connect my new e50 to my amp after tuning it in withsky+ and obtaining sound.
I initially connected it up with scart to scart and it automatically went to composite.
So i connected the pair up the s-video route and picture was fine.
Now for sound....As i'm using a multi s-video source selector (ps2, gamecube, e50 etc) with all appliances going into it and only 1 output going to the plasma i'm now watching sky+ through av4 of the E50.
So instead of the the optical out of the sky+with 5.1 channel capabilities going to the opt imput on the amp i removed the opt cable from the sky+ and connected it to the opt out of the E50 and connected it to the opt in on the amp.
This totally cured the lip sync issues but as the E50 doesnt have 5.1 decoder then i guess this is my problem.

My fault as i didnt describe it properly in the first place!

Danny

Originally posted by danny-p

So i used the sky+ digital optical and connected it from the opt out from the back of the E50
Danny

All i meant is i'd used the digital optical cable that was previously being used on my sky+ and connected it up the same as on sky+ but this time on the E50...Not Sky+ optical out to Panny E5o optical out..LOL...Even i'm not that dumb.

Cheers

Danny

I thoughts thats what you meant.But as you have seen,5.1 from the E50 is only available on commercial dvd's.
Why not connect AV1(RGB) of the E50 to your tv,this gives better results than s-video.You must have a spare Scart as they don't normally do s-video and RGB on the same socket of the tv set

Originally posted by phelings
I thoughts thats what you meant.But as you have seen,5.1 from the E50 is only available on commercial dvd's.
Why not connect AV1(RGB) of the E50 to your tv,this gives better results than s-video.You must have a spare Scart as they don't normally do s-video and RGB on the same socket of the tv set

I cant as its a plasma terminal board with 1x component...1x vga...1xcomposite and 1x s-video only....plus i only have an s-video source selector.

Danny

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom