1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny e30 vs e50 any important differences?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by derb, Mar 31, 2003.

1. derb

derb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just checked the website and the only thing I could find was the exact fit recording feature. In fact, oddly, the e30 has a longer list of features than the e50 (though only I assume because they didn't bother mentioning some of the e30 features in the e50 blurb).

I'm thinking I might buy a e30 off someone wanting to upgrade to the hard disk model (anyone want to make me an offer?)

2. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think the E50 allows you to adjust the level of black when recording NTSC (strictly speaking 480i/60). You should be able to get more information by searching here or on AVS forum. But unless you have a load of Laserdiscs you want to back up, this feature probably isn't very important.

3. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    And the E50 can play MP3's

4. derb

derb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems from this review http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/panasonicdvdr/ the E30 can even do the "Flexible Record mode". I am a little baffled about why they would bother to make a new model if it is so close to the earlier one. Surely there is an important feature I have missed?

5. fozzybear

fozzybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen this explaination before - I don't know if it's correct, but it seems plausable:

The E50 can be sold and still make a profit. The E30 was too expensive to manufacture, but if they sold it at a price point where they could make a profit no-one would buy it.

The E50 has been redesigned with more integrated electronics and is easier to manufacture. This means it's cost is lower and Panasonic should be able to turn a profit on them.

Superficial changes to models are pretty common in the audio biz, with a lot of new cd players and amps coming out with just a redesigned fascia and a minimal internal change. This has gone on for years.