1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panny e30 recorder prices??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by shippers, Feb 26, 2003.

1. shippers

shippers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm toying with the idea of buying a dvd recorder rather than upgrading to sky plus, I've read the reviews & comments on the av forum regarding the panasonic dmre30 recorder & i've decided to go for it, i've seen the multiregion version (thats a must) for £449 excluding delivery, can any one tell me if thats a decent price to pay,i've had a quick look at other sites & they seem to be pricing the multiregion machines around the £500 mark!
    I intend to be ordering one on friday (pay day), can't hang around though cause the missus will think of other uses to put the money to!!
    Any help would be much appreciated.:smoke:

2. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, thats what I paid for mine and I haven't seen it cheeper anywhere since.

I wouldn't hang around though because I believe it has been discontinued and the only ones available are those that companies have in stock at the moment!

3. shippers

shippers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks ferris.:laugh:

4. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The replacement for the DMR-E30 is called the DMR-E50 and is due out in March. Have a look at the www.panasonic.co.uk site for some details on the E50.

5. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    "http://www.av-land.co.uk/panasonic/dmre50/index.htm has the replacement e50 for 399.95. No mention of multi region but does say pal and ntsc."

Yeah there's no news on a multiregion hack/mod for the e50 as yet. Im sure there will be but it might be a while. This means buying the player and waiting untill you can eventually get it modded somehow.

I would either buy the e30 now or if you dont mind waiting a few months hang on until you can buy a multiregion e50. (the thought of an uncertain wait pushed me into the e30-theres very little difference between the two anyway to be fair, although the e50 may have better firmware making it more compatible-but this is only speculation at this point).

7. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Techtronics have loads of modded E30s left, and shipping is free. that's where I got mine from last week.:)

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RS had it multiregion for 399.95 in a recent sale

I think it was part of mag ad

I was annoyed as i had paid 449.99 a couple of weeks before

If you are not getting sky+ i would seriously consider HS2 for the onboard hard drive. Otherwise, if you are recording to archive you will have to watch it live with the broadcast to edit out the ads.

I have sky+ and kind of wish I had gone for the HS2

9. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I might be wrong, but can you not edit out the ads by dividing the recording and the erasing the tracks which contain the ads. I know you can't partial erase on dvd-r but I think you can do this? Like I said though Im not sure as I haven't had a hance to try it yet.

10. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You can edit the program to remove ads, over-run etc, on the E30 on a dvd-ram disc, but this defeats the object if you want to produce a DVD-R as the final product. To achieve this you will need another panasonic dvd player to record from the dvd-ram onto the -r media.

Hence the advice to get a hs2 where you can hold up to 8 hours at best, or 17 hours of good quality video, edit it and burn to a -r all in the one unit. Best quality on a dvd-ram will fill it with 1 hour of video, 2 hours on sp mode.

As I have pointed out in other replies, a hs2 at £800 multi region is actually cheaper than an E30 at £399 plus sky+ fitted at £300, whenyou consider the saving in monthly extra fee of £120 a year.
    Breakeven at end of first year and save £120 a year after that until the equipment is replaced or obsolete.

Once you have the hs2 you can do what I am doing now, record all the tv you want to see this evening and watch at a more convenient time, with ads and boring bits skipped through.
    You can even watch a pre-recorded program whilst recording another, or start watching your recording before it has finished, catching up a bit at each ad.

I hardly use -ram on mine, except to temporarily store parts of a complete series until I have captured all the episodes. This way I dont waste write once media if I miss an episode and give up. This allows the hard drive to just hold programs I want to watch and then delete, and programs for editing before making a permanent copy.

11. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sky+ has lots of other advantages though Ken

now I have it I couldn't do without

I do hate sky's kidgloves attitude in not allow simple editing features or other options due to pleb majority

12. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I accept the second tuner could be useful at times, but with the certainty that anything interesting on non terrestrial channels will be repeated hours or days later, I can manage without. It is very rare that I need do more than record one and watch another on analoge if necessary. At a pinch I resort to the trusty video to capture a program that I don't want to miss, but quality isn't so important.

I can certainly live without the enhanced epg.

I am sure once the take up of sky+ is sufficient you will find new features happening such as programs recorded which you haven't requested, ads that have to be watched and not zipped through etc.