1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny E30 Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bobbles, Jan 22, 2003.

1. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got it today very impressive

I have it set up in the following way

SKY+ TV RGB OUT -> DVDR RGB IN AV2 -> DVDR RGB OUT AV1 -> RGB TV IN

On the DVDR I have set up the AV2 connection to DECODER

The only problem is if the sky+ is on then whatever the DVDR is tuned to BBC1 etc it will only play and record what is on sky+ at that time

If I turn it to normal this does not happen

So what should I have it set to Normal which seems to work best or is there a reason I should have it set to DECODER?

Thanks

Bob

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well judging by the replies the following link may be useful

Panny E30 Hints and Tips

Very happy with the player

Bit disappointed with the menus on a recorded -R disk

Just a list, no pictures

Bit poor IMO

3. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,820
    Bobbles there was me thinking you was going to go for the philips dvd recorder.

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no didn't you read my other thread

went for the Panny in the end

the VBR and the worrying reliability of the Philips swung it Pannys way

I just replied to your other thread in dvd talk

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now Big Les has gone and they have said they are not interested in Ricketts

Nor should they be he is crap

I think there could be truth in that whisper

6. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,820
    I also heard yesterday from 2 other people about fowler,so will have to wait & see.
    would be very nice.:D

7. jryoung

jryoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reading that tip - does that mean that the E30 cannot respond to any timer recordings via RGB input on AV2 :confused: (eg from a (non-panasonic!) DTT set top box)? How about via S-Video in?

Currently, I am very happy with my new E30. I have a Panasonic 32DT2 DTT tv, which works extremely well with the E30 due to the QLink function. I just set the TV EPG based timer, and the E30 records (a composite signal) from the DTT output via the TVs AV1. Playback is via S-Video on AV1.

However, I was considering getting a separate Freeview tuner to feed the E30, on the basis that one with a timer could drive the E30 in a similar way to the TV, but with RGB as the source. Has anyone done this?

Cheers

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes it can

However the Panny can not auto switch the sky box

but you can set it up to autorecord when it detects a prog on auto view

however, you can not use this with sky+ as I don't think sky+ has autoview just reminders or record

9. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +362
    I've got the Panny E30 but I'm on NTL cable. I don't think this is anywhere near as advanced as Sky (never mind Sky + !) but reminders can be set and the channel switch is automatic. Does anyone know if the Panny can do this for me in any way.

I was thinking it might be possible through videoplus? For example, if I set a videoplus programme for Sky One I'm sure the Panny will ask me what channel it's corresponds to on AV1. So then next time I set videoplus for Sky One will the Panny automatically change the channel on the STB?

Or does anyone have alternative ideas?

PS I haven't thought of trying this yet but I might give it a go tonight.

10. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might be

you have to set the AV2 connection

to ext 1 or something like that

try it

11. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm puzzled why you would need to use timer recording on the E30 when you have Sky+ :confused:

Everything I want on either DVD-R or DVD-RAM is first recorded onto Sky+, I haven't even set the E30 up so it can timer record, with Sky+ fed into AV2 via scart I have all my needs met.

12. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i suppose you might if you were out and wanted to record two things at once

come on dual record!

I don't think you can do the timer record autoview thing anyway as I don't think sky+ has this option

just got some ram for less than £3 work perfectly top stuff

what do you use ram for? i can only imagine using it if sky+ gets full or for editing before burning onto -R

when i get a writer that is

13. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the RAM disks for music videos, the handy editing features come in handy. But as I got 4 for free I'm not going to buy anymore as I'll never fill all those due to my picky taste.

14. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i got 2 free and bought another 8 before I got the player

now i have them I am left wondering what to use them for

I can not believe the high st prices for disks in HMV a single -R was 9.99

they are taking the p

I can imagine a time though when -RAM are so cheap I will only use those for archiving

15. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Assuming my HS2 works the same as the E30, if you set it to normal in this situation it will record from the channel selected. However you can't then view the digibox on the tv via the rgb loop through when the machine is timer recording even if it is recording sky. This seems to be associated with rgb output from the digibox overiding the source in the recorder. You could loop the secondary scart direct to the tv or via a video and watch non rgb signal on the tv.
    I have, though, given up with using the RGB in straight to the recorder as above, as in approx 1 in 4 or 5 autoview from the personal planner recording attempts the digibox drops the rgb signal and sends ordinary video instead, even though set to send rgb. This results in a recording of sound only and a blank screen. I am informed that this is a relatively common problem.
    The problem resolves when the box is rebooted, and can't be detected from the tv as the rgb scart autoselects whatever signal arrives. Unfortunately the recorder does not and this has caused me some hassle. As recording the program I want to see is more important than ultimate quality, I now have the second scart connected to the HS2 and the recorder connnected to a non rgb scarton the tv and everything set to video. THe digibox is set to rgb and goes to the tv rgb scart.
    With this set-up the recording is reliable and you have to now set the input as decoder, as when set to normal, I have found that say when dubbing a 2 hour dvd you can only view the onscreen info from the recorder on both the recorder input to the tv and it also feeds back through the digibox to that input as well.

16. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes I have put the VCR scart on sky+ to a secondary scart on my TV, incase i am recording on sky+ and recording on the dvdr

you never know!

I am know actually using my switch box to RGB IN on the DVDR

3 sources

Normal DVD player
    X-BOX
    SKY+ TV Scart

Sky+ is also connected to AV2 on TV
    Normal DVD is also connected to TV using component cables

The optical set up was trickier with 4 sources and 2 inputs

but surely you can view what the DVDR is recording i.e sky

I will have a go later

Have you got sky+ Ken?

If so how are you getting it to autoview?

17. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It definately does not allow you to view the source through the recorder when set to normal, and a timer recording is happening, with the unit otherwise off. With it on you can view the recording as it happens or play it back from the beginning or another recording already on the hard drive or -ram disc, not though I understand when recording straight to -r?
    Set to decoder and you can always see the source but can't select anything else to record. This only happens when the input is set to rgb. There must be a signal on the rgb feed commanding the recorder to only see the digibox
    Change the input to video, and set as decoder and everything works fine.
    I haven't got sky+, whats the point with a hs2 which does everything I want without the extra subscription, which is how I justified buying it in the first place. (Except for the second tuner of course, but this is rarely a problem)

I don't believe that sky+ allows all the ads, intros and over-run to be removed, before copying to dvd-r either?

18. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can customize the way Sky+ records, by default it's set to start recording a few mins before the proggy and end a few mins after it finishes. You can change the start and end times but you of course risk missing a bit of the proggy.

19. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you plug a PC into this recorder and burn DVD-R's that way?

20. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Nope, Not unless you are talking about streaming some video or SVideo/Composite output via the PC Graphics Card or TV Card from your PC to the DMR-E30. About the only way you could is if you had a the Panasonic DMR-HS2 and if your PC had a Firewire connection and plug this into DMR-HS2, but I believe the DMR-HS2 is very fussy about what you plug into the Firewire input of the DMR-HS2.