1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny E30 DVD-RAM -> DVD-R

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JamShady, May 18, 2003.

1. JamShady

JamShady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've done a search but can't find anything on this topic. I've got a Panasonic E30 and I mainly use the RAM discs to record stuff for the sake of convenience. I've also got myself a Panasonic LF-D311 for my PC.

The question is, what software product(s) for my PC should I use to extract the video from the RAM discs, edit out the ads etc, and then burn them back to DVD-R to be played in a standard DVD player?

Opinions please. Thanks

2. David Hwang

David Hwang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 is an easy, all-in-one solution for RAM to DVD-R on the PC. Thoroughly recommended. However it does cost $44 so you might like to try some of the free download options first (also you may still have lip sync problems with editted RAM recordings - but I'm not certain on that).

Personally I just rename the .VRO file .MPG and use the MPEG tools in TMPG ENCODER is run a simple demultiplex to get the .m2v and .ac3 files. I then import this into Spruceup and author. This solution works if you haven't editted your RAM recordings or, like me, you have editted them on the HDD of an HS2 and copied to a RAM disk in FR mode. It will also work if you have editted recordings but then you may get lip sync problems (which can be solved using Nicky's guide which I have linked below).

Some useful links:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/
    (for some expert advice on some of the problems you may or may not run into!)

http://www.dvdr-digest.com/
    (a useful source for downloading files)

http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/audio-synch.htm
    (should you have lip sync problems!)

PC DVD burning is the best way to get professional looking DVDs - it takes time (especially if your a perfectionist) but is well worth the effort! Have fun!

4. JamShady

JamShady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replies guys. Is DVD Workshop a superior version of MovieFactory, or is that a separate product altogther. I don't mind spending a bit more to get some decent software.

The end result I'd like to achieve is to archive my old home movies/tv progs onto DVD, preferably with menus (animated?) and chapter skips - and of course being able to retain editting ability on the PC to remove unwanted bits and pieces.

5. JamShady

JamShady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I've got another problem now. I copied the VRO file over to my PC (Workshop won't touch it unless I rename it to mpg), but the problem is the file seems incomplete. It's got the first 15 minutes of a 1.5 hour film on it, and then more or less all of 2 TV programs (another 1.5 hours). The file size is about 2Gb which is about right given the rate I set the recording (6 hours), but I can't work out where the rest of the video has gone. Also, the total time comes up for the whole thing as about 20mins.

I've opened it in MPGEnc DVD Author, Windows Media Player and Ulead Movie Factory, and they're all showing inconsistent video :confused:

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    JamShady - this is a question much better directed to the technical forums I posted the link to. You will find a whole forum devoted to DVD authoring with many users of this software. I know it's a pain having to register for another forum but this is a general DVD forum and not a authoring forum - there are only a few people here who author on PCs.

For specific Workshop problems check out thia forum as well for specific Workshop help:

http://www.creativecow.net/index.php?forumid=130

Have you downloaded the User Manual from Ulead's web site?

7. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    This is why I don't attempt video editing on my computer. Unless you use XP or windows 2000 with the different file structure, the largest video file you can handle is about 2 gig = approx 20 mins of video at decent quality.

You would have been better with something like the HS2 and do all the editing and burning in one machine like me. Or alternately buy a cheap panasonic dvd player that can play back an edited ram disc and record straight to -r on your recorder. Much easier and little more cost than all the software updates you need for the computer to get it to work satisfactorily, let alone the time saved in preparing the file for burning.

8. JamShady

JamShady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I did try the link before I posted, but their servers must have been down or something because the site wasn't responding. Will check it out now. And yes, I did go through the user manual.
    I'm using W2K with NTFS, so filesize shouldn't be a problem
    True, but it was cheaper this way, and in theory it should be better since I can create my own menus etc. Ah well, we'll see what advice I get from the other forum. Thanks for the help guys

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    PC DVD burning is alot of hastle - there's no disputing that - and it takes a while to get used to it and climb the rather vertical learning curve!

That said the results of the end product can be stunning. Custom made menus, precision chapter points and thumbnails, ability to add 'extras' and/or subtitles etc. It can take a long time (especially if you really take time over the menus) but IMHO is a very rewarding experience.

I'm a bit spoilt really as I use the HS2 for all my editting just copying the final product (in FR mode) to RAM disk meaning it is effectively a simple demultiplex to the HDD and then author. But that said I used to do the same with the E20 albeit with increased hastle due to lip sync problems.

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    One thing I would say JamShady. Try experimenting simply at first. Do a simple, uneditted 20min recording (ensuring it is only the one recording on the disk) and see if you can import that successfully. If not try renaming it to .MPG and see if you have any more joy. If still no luck (with the file still named as an .mpg) run a simple demultiplex on it (to divide it into .m2v and .ac3 streams). You can do this using TMPG Encoder or a similar application from the DVDR Digest page I linked above. You WILL be able to import this.

Once you've done this you can experiment a bit more - try doing all that to an editted clip (but still just one recording). Do you have a lip sync problem? If so use the link I posted above and experiment in getting rid of the error. Then import you corrected clip into Moviestudio.

Next be prepared to think a bit laterally. Sometimes it's not possible to get second (or more) programmes recognised within the .VRO shell. In this case copy the contents of the DVD-RAM disk, unaltered, to your HDD (to create a backup of the disk). Now put the RAM disk back in your E20/30/50 and delete the second recording. Put the RAM disk back in your PC and following the steps above. Once your done format the disk and copy the HDD backup onto the disk. Put it back in your E20/30/50 and delete the first recording etc. Remember Moviestudio (or any other authoring programme) can handle multiple video clips!

Play around - find your limitations - and think laterally about how to overcome them and you will find you have one of the most powerful home recording solutions you could imagine!

11. JamShady

JamShady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

12. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Also now available is DVDAuthor from the TMPGEnc people - Pegasys. It will import VRO files, and editing is a breeze. It will insert chapters where you select or will auto insert at set time intervals. And does menus. It then constructs the DVD , but you need burner software to make the DVD. I use Nero.

Download it from the Pegasys site for a 30 day trial. IIRC costs about $50