1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny E-500 Hard Drive - Reliable?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Cabo 5150, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Cabo 5150

Cabo 5150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was just thumbing through the instruction manual for my Panasonic DMR E-500 and came across what appears to be a fairly stern warning regarding the reliability/durability of the HDD and any recordings made on it. I’m quoting verbatim here: “…it is a very special device that is easily susceptible to damage. As a basic rule, save important video content to a DVD disc as a backup.” One of the reasons I bought a machine with such a large HDD (400GB) was to save shows like, 24, Battlestar Galactica etc. on the HDD prior to purchase of DVD box sets in due course, without the need to burn –R’s in the interim. But reading down the page the manual almost seems to predict future problems. Does anyone with technical knowledge know whether Panasonic is just “covering its arse” or is this machine really prone to HDD errors?

2. SpacemanSpliff

SpacemanSpliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The manual for my E85 contains the same warning. I don't think the Panasonic machines are more prone to failure than any other HDD recorder, so the manual is just warning you that, like with your PC, it's a good idea to backup important data.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    HDDs, whether in a set-top unit or a PC, are prone to failure - that's life. They are most likely to fail within the first few months of use - if they survive that then regular, moderate use will ensure they generally last and last. However, for important recordings, you could do alot worse than dub backups to DVD-RAM.

4. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,700
    I have the the DMR E500 and would agree with other comments that it is just a general "cover your back" clause. Most pc manuals recommend the same.
    I would add that, as Raczak suggests, do back ups of important stuff - but - I would recommend you save money by backing up onto DVD-R. You may not be aware but the 500 will let you transfer from DVD-R back to the HDD - (the only machine i'm aware of that lets you do this) Panny dosn't shout about it either but it works.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    But if it's not stuff he wants to keep it is going to easier for him to use DVD-RAM - especially as it is a more robust media and keeps everything in VR mode. And crucially can obviously be re-used. And you will find with a HDD/DVDR it is in your own benefit to clear the HDD to format every now and then: DVD-RAM is the ideal temproary storage medium whilst you do this.

6. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I have a Pan 85 and was also initially worried when reading this in the manual. However, mine has received what I would consider heavy use within our houshold in the last 9 months or so with no problems. Regularly record programmes onto HDD, to then be copied onto dvds for friends, family etc. Have had problems with dud dvd-r's, but no problems with the HDD.

7. Mawny

Mawny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the E-85 :- what are the benefits of a re-format? I havent performed one in the 6 months or so I have had it ( mainly cos the drive has always had at least a couple of hours worth of programs on it).

Presumably disk access would be speeded up ( since it would be fragmented pre-format ) ?

8. Cabo 5150

Cabo 5150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm probably slighty different to other posters in as much as most of the recordings I make on the HDD will remain for periods exceeding many months. 24 season 4 will stay until August when the the box set is released. Battlestar Galactica (new version) I believe is out within in a couple of weeks and I will be deleting all of those episodes when I have the DVD's. I hope I don't encounter any problems with a fragmented drive then! As I mentioned my idea is to use the HDD purely as a stop gap in anticipation of future DVD releases, I would definitely archive anything more important onto DVD-R - as I did with my wedding video from my old HS2 HDD. Wouldn't want to upset the wife now would I :D.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    If you make extensive use of the Partial Erase feature (as opposed to non-destructive playlists) then you will find that eventually the HDD may start showing slight symptoms of 'jerky' playback. Format and all will be well again.