1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny DVR-5100 Playback problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Datagrid, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Datagrid

Datagrid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:

Hi guys - I'm relatively new to AV systems, so any help is appreciated.

I've got a Panny DVR-5100 (h I believe). When I first got this (March 2004) everything was fine - recorded, played back etc. etc.

Recently (last several months) if I want to watch a DVD whilst it's recording terrestrial TV to the HD, I get the following error message

"Cannnot play a video that uses a different TV system, than the video being recorded"

I've gone through the menus as much as I understand, and can't see any reason why this happens.

I've got a simple set-up.

Terrestrial TV into the RF on the recorder
    Scart to Widescreen Mitsubishi TV.

If anyone can help, my wife will love you forever!

Derek.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    No such model - there is the Pioneer 5100? But I assume it is a Panasonic as it's hard to miss the brand name stamped on it. I assume it is a HDD/DVDR combi recorder? If so...

Is it a US disc? If so that is because your unit is set for PAL to record TV and it can't be changed whilst recording (US discs use NTSC) to the HDD. If you play a PAL DVD then it will work.

3. Datagrid

Datagrid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak - thanks for the reply - helps if I know what I use, don't it?

I don't think it's the DVD - it's Multi Region, and it was an R2 DVD I was trying to play. I'll check that tonight, and let you know 2morro.

Cheers.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    If it was a UK DVD then check that the machine isn't set to NTSC by mistake (although it shouldn't allow you to record to the HDD from a PAL source if it is). But yes it would help to know what machine you have :) If it's a Panny it should have the name written on the front somewhere.

5. Datagrid

Datagrid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak - spot on! I tried what you said last night, and guess what... you were right - it was a Pioneer! ;-)

You were right about the NTSC/PAL conflict - I didn't realise I was trying to play an R1 disc. As soon as I put an R2 in, I could record and watch.

Many, many thanks for your help, and the very swift responses.

Regards,
    Derek.