Panny DVI board and progressive PAL signals?

jrosado

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi:

I've heard that there were some problems with the Panasonic DVI board for 6th generation plasmas and PAL progressive signals. Since i own a DVD player with DVI-I output, i'm considering buying the DVI Board. However, if there are problems, then i will keep it conected using the VGA input.

So, what is the status of thing now?

Regards,

J. Rosado

Hi:

so, nobody knows anything about this? I can't belive that with so many users, there is a single user with a DVI board on is Panny!!

Regards,
J. Rosado

The Panasonic had a problem with some progressive scan processors, like iScan Ultra and TAG McLaren PSM192R. After some research with Panasonic and McLaren, it was due to the processors delivering a wrong signal, ie 572 lines instead of 576.
There has been a software update for these processors that cured this problem.
Is see no problems with your configuration, if the player outputs 576@50Hz PAL progressive.

Hi:

Thanks for the info! That are great news!

Regards,
J. Rosado

I heard that if you use the new Iscan Ultra HD these problems won't exist, true?

True to a degree Lizzard - the HD can send progressive video resolutions, or the native resolution of the plasma, so one would hope the DVI card will just accept 852 x 480, 1024 x 768 or 1366 x 768 (which it will definitely do from a Pixel Perfect graphics card). However we've not had a chance to test the HD with this to confirm - I reckon it'll probably work at native rate but won't work as a standard progressive scan resolution!!

As it stands I wouldn't rely on the Panasonic DVI card to work with PAL prog scan signals from any source using a Silicon Image deinterlacing chipset (which sends 572 plus four lines of blanking!) until you've had a chance to test. The iScan Ultra, Tag, Linn, and Pio 868 all use this chipset and all have problems sending PAL based material into the Panasonic DVI card.

Originally posted by Liam McLaughlin
As it stands I wouldn't rely on the Panasonic DVI card to work with PAL prog scan signals from any source using a Silicon Image deinterlacing chipset (which sends 572 plus four lines of blanking!) until you've had a chance to test. The iScan Ultra, Tag, Linn, and Pio 868 all use this chipset and all have problems sending PAL based material into the Panasonic DVI card.
That little problem has been fixed on the iScan HD.

- Dale Adams

That's excellent news Dale!

Dale

what about the Ultra?

The iScan Ultra, Tag, Linn, and Pio 868 all use this chipset

I don't think that's correct re. the Pioneer 868 Liam. Pioneer use their own I-P chipsets (unfortunately). I can also confirm that into a Panny PW5, the 868 has inferior I-P conversion than via an iScan Ultra
(which of course does use an SI chipset).

Yes went a bit mad there - just means another chip to the list for PAL sources not working via DVI to the Panny 6!

(or should I say more evidence of the Panny DVI card being a pain in the...)

As i previously mentioned it should work with the TAG / IScan Ultra because these manufacturers have brought an upgrade to there firmware which should resolve the PAL progressive mismatch with the panasonic DVI board.

However, i have not heard of anyone who was able to confirm that it worked since. I really like to know if this is the case as i have a AV192R with PSM192R and a 50' panasonic plasma (PW6) and want to use the DVI connection..

a problem with the 5 series DVI board prevents to use the native resolution for 50' panels (1366x768) with this board. This is fixed in the 6-series DVI board.

i have a panny 50 w6 and a pioneer 868 and as of yet can only get region 1 disc to work pioneer were no help any ideas ?
Dvi board is a ty-42tm6d that i got with plasma in nov 03

I'm not sure if you guys have seen the resident expert, Gordon Fraser's, comments on the Panny using DVI.

His view is that the Panny offers better PQ using the component inputs rather than the DVI board. It may be better to save your money by not buying the DVI board, and just connecting up the 'old fashioned' way. He believes the DVI board has been configured primarily for computer input rather than video.

As far as I understand it, TAG have now sorted the DVD32R PSM with software version 3.85 which means that 576 lines are now output from the PSM DVI.

However, if you insist on using DVI, the Panny is not capable of accepting a PAL prgressive input via DVI so if you use anything other than NTSC discs, it will not work.

Originally posted by The Beekeeper
[Bwhat about the Ultra? [/B]
Quite frankly, we've been so busy trying to get the iScan HD out the door that we haven't had time to look at new versions of the Ultra or modifications to it. It is certainly possible to fix the '572 lines over DVI' problem. I'm not positive at this point whether it can be done purely through software, or if there's also a hardware change required. I'll take a look at it as soon as I come up for air from the iScan HD development. (soon . . .)

- Dale Adams

Originally posted by lovegroova
I'm not sure if you guys have seen the resident expert, Gordon Fraser's, comments on the Panny using DVI.

His view is that the Panny offers better PQ using the component inputs rather than the DVI board. It may be better to save your money by not buying the DVI board, and just connecting up the 'old fashioned' way. He believes the DVI board has been configured primarily for computer input rather than video.
FWIW, the iScan Ultra's analog output does not have the same problem as the DVI output. It produces a full 576 active lines.

- Dale Adams

Ok, so safe way is to buy the component board once and for all, then you know the Panny works with PAL/NTSC progressive.

Just so, and of course you can get the ultra to put out progressive component or RGB, which you can connect to your component or VGA ports. So, Dale, development is still under way? Dare one ask for a release date straight from the horses mouth? There are many people here gasping to get their hands on it, Liam's been advertising them for about a month!

Originally posted by lovegroova
However, if you insist on using DVI, the Panny is not capable of accepting a PAL prgressive input via DVI so if you use anything other than NTSC discs, it will not work.

This was exactly the problem addressed with the 'upgrade' of those progressive processors. When this upgrade is applied the progressive PAL signal should work with DVI.
Look at the specs of the DVI blade, it doesn't accept interlaced signals, but progressive should be fine.

@lovegroova, could you point me to the article mentioned by you? (the one from Gordon Fraser about the component blade).
I doubt it would be better since, apart from the analog-to-digital-and-back conversion, the DVI input can produce a lot more gray shades. I would think this betters the image.

I am using the VGA standard port on my panasonic and have a lot of 'blending' of the colors, ie if for instance fog is displayed it looks like the color depth is very low.

Reference the pani not working with the 868 using r2 disks, the samsung HD935 that I have works with r1 and r2 via dvi. So possibly the 868 requires a handshake from the pani. I have come to the assumption as the 868 dvi output is terminated after a few seconds. So possibly a software upgrade could be available?

Originally posted by PosiXX
This was exactly the problem addressed with the 'upgrade' of those progressive processors. When this upgrade is applied the progressive PAL signal should work with DVI.
Look at the specs of the DVI blade, it doesn't accept interlaced signals, but progressive should be fine.

@lovegroova, could you point me to the article mentioned by you? (the one from Gordon Fraser about the component blade).
I doubt it would be better since, apart from the analog-to-digital-and-back conversion, the DVI input can produce a lot more gray shades. I would think this betters the image.

I am using the VGA standard port on my panasonic and have a lot of 'blending' of the colors, ie if for instance fog is displayed it looks like the color depth is very low.

PosiXX - you are right about the PAL progressive, my misunderstading now corrected :eek:

Gordon's comment is on this thread, 3rd post down http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105251&highlight=DVI

And, I was emailing him for advice re my DVD player purchase and he made the following comment "DVI out of TAG will not currently work at 576@50 on Pannie 6 series. I believe that Panasonic are working on a a firmware fix. My findings so far are that analogue is better to Panny anyway."

Obviously this was before the TAG firmware fix but you get the general gist.

The DVI format is better than component if you have controle of the chroma,black level etc which on the 868 you have. on the samsung HD935 the DVI output is sharper and more detailed on the DVI output but crap dark low leval detail and pixalisation on grays the samsung has no veriable video parameters. I think it is due to the reference levels of certain frequency, DVI is primary for computer use but it will be defacto for video in time. HDMI is only the conector like scart not the protocal.

Originally posted by genko
The DVI format is better than compnent if you have controle of the chroma,black level etc which on the 868 you have. on the samsung HD935 the DVI output is sharper and more detailed on the DVI output but crap dark low leval detail and pixalisation on grays the samsung has no veriable video parameters. I think it is due to the reference levels of certain frequency, DVI is primary for computer use but it will be defacto for video in time. HDMI is only the conector like scart not the protocal.

I think Gordon's comments relate specifically to the Panny display rather than any output device. I believe his comparisons were on the outputs from a scaler so the presumably he would have had control over things such as chroma. As most of this video processing stuff is a bit beyond me, I prefer to trust Gordon's expert eye.

I have a pany 50 6series a pany 42 5series and a panny 42 3series. DVD wise i have a samsung HD935 a Pioneer 868 a Pioneer 747 a Dennon 2900 i can only tell you what i see. On the 868 i can only play r1 discs via HDMI so that comparison is limated.

Originally posted by genko
I have a pany 50 6series a pany 42 5series and a panny 42 3series. DVD wise i have a samsung HD935 a Pioneer 868 a Pioneer 747 a Dennon 2900 i can only tell you what i see. On the 868 i can only play r1 discs via HDMI so that comparison is limated.

Have you compated the output from the 868 to the 6 series using both component and HDMI, and have you had the separate inputs properly calibrated to allow a fair comparison?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom