1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny DVD-S97 Opinions??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MrNPG, May 13, 2005.

1. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi folks,

Anyone who owns the Panasonic DVD-S97 player care to comment on it's performance?

I've not owned a Panny DVD player before, mainly Pioneers.

Is the DVD-S97 a good performer?

Cheers.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I have a s97 which is feeding via prog scan component a PD30 CRT TV and I am exceptionally pleased with the results especially for its new much lower price.

I have not personally tested the digital video but have heard that there were issues with what was the latest version of the firmware when playing pal disks at the highest prog scan mode but the issue didnt exist with earlier versions (as I dont use digitial i dont know if this has now been corrected or not)

I wasnt sure wether to buy a new player or just wait til hd or blu ray took off but when i saw the s97 drop from £300 to £150 (and cheaper online) I decided it was potentially disposable after a couple of years and have been very happy that i did upgrade

3. richardb70

richardb70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,817
    Yep, I've got one of these babies, connected to my Pio 505XDE through HDMI and the picture is fantastic using 720p. Like Astaroth says, stay clear of the v540 firmware (I'm on v536) and you're laughing. The number of features this player provides is mind boggling for the price. Recommended.

4. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant compare to other models, but I am very pleased with my 97.
    fed through HDMI the picture (especially on newer transfers) is fanastic, although some do complain about macroblocking. For me it is pretty minimal though (only on certain scenes).
    In reply to the above there is some debate on the 540 firmware update, and I used it and found no problems whatsoever. I run the PAL discs through as NTSC though (for the pixel drop) and find everything fine.
    Great player for the price, but I would take time to look at threads on the Samsung which by all accounts is good as well.

5. andyridds

andyridds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any advice on where a multi-region version of the S97 can be purchased ? Thanks

6. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
  7. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I own a Panny S97 that's partnered to a Panny AE700 via HDMI and I'm happy with the image. There are lots of tweaks available to get things as good as can be. Picture quality is certainly a step up from the Limit SE900, although I don't think sound quality isn't quite as good - the Limit has more punch and "sparkle".

The S97 can be purchased from AVLand for £149.95 multi-regioned and delivered... which always bugs me as I bought mine direct from Panasonic for £164.00 and then had to pay another £20.00 odd to get it multi-regioned :mad:

gingerone - your link doesn't work - I think there's only one d in the company name - plus the Panny comes to £169.86 delivered for a multi region player.

8. andyridds

andyridds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark/Gingerone - thanks for the links

9. Te Bheag

Te Bheag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have the panny S97 running a panny PD50 through component video and the picture is superb. Sound is great too through the 6.1 Yam. I thoroughly recommend the player, easy to use and easy to 'tweak'.

10. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi guys, does the S97 upscale dvds to 720p then ? and does anyone know how it compares to the Denon 1910 ?

Cheers

Taz