Panny DVD Recorder in Canada

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Raymate, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Raymate

Raymate
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

At the moment I have a Panasonic E65 that is multi-region here in the UK. Next year I shall be moving out to Toronto Canada.

Now my current machine is not multi-voltage and the tuner will not work I assume. So I dont think it's worth taking with me. Because I assume it will only be good for playback.

So I want to get another Panasonic deck in Canada.

My questions are:

1. Do any stores in Canada (Toronto) sell Panny decks that have been changed to multi region, as I would like to take some of my PAL discs with me.

2. Can anyone recomend any stores.

3. Would it be easy to make a machine multi region in Canada myself.

If any one can help with this, that would be great.

It seems no TV in Canada can handle a PAL signal, unlike our TV that do both. So I'm not sure how I would view PAL DVD (home made or puchased ones)

Cheers

R :)

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Making a Canadian Panasonic region-free wouldn't help you, as they can't play PAL discs (at least the EH50 can't, I checked that manual for the Canadian model; I expect the other models are the same. The issue is your last point, that most NTSC DVD players won't accept a PAL disc, and most NTSC TVs won't accept a PAL signal.

You are right that your UK recorder won't do you much good there.

I suggest getting a Canadian DVD NTSC recorder, and not worry about region-free or PAL for that. Then separatly buy a NTSC DVD player which will handle PAL discs and convert them for play on NTSC TV. These are in a minority, but they do exist - here is one
    http://regioncodefreedvd.com/jvc312.html

Of the "name brands", JVC seems to have a number which play PAL discs. My sister in the USA has 4 DVD players, when I sent her a PAL disc the only one which would play it was a JVC (not sure which model). A bunch of no-name Chinese brands also do this. Looks like the Pioneer 270S also does PAL to NTSC conversion. You could take a PAL region-2 disc to a shop and try some out.

The link I sent was a US site, not Canadian, but both US and Canada are NTSC.

Mark

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Or, go for a JVC recorder, something like this (Canadian Model)
    http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/product-detail.asp?model=DR-MH30S

It has "PAL Playback on NTSC TV (DVD)"

Out of the box it probably isn't region free, but I would think you could find a supplier for a region free one in Canada. Otherwise you'd need to import one from the US.

Mark