Panny DMRES30 went back today

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dvdope, Mar 20, 2006.

1. dvdope

dvdope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It didn't do what it said on the box so to speak. The in-store blurb stated it would improve the video when recorded to disc. It didn't - and it tended to add more noise than reduce any - markedly in some instances. It's quite loud when on but i could've lived with that no problem had it been ok for archiving my tapes. On the plus side, out of the 10 discs (+R) used, none became coasters....yet. I used WH Smith's own discs and they seem fine. Play back on my comp ok too.
    There's a dispute as to whether i can get a refund (machines only six days young) but i'm not giving in easily. If i do get the refund, i'll have to get a hard drive model and keep reading the posts here for reco's. Thanks

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,246
    I didn't think it was possible with any machinery to improve the quality of VHS tapes, once the quality has been lost I don't see how it can be got back again :confused:

3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,568
    How, exactly was it worded?

4. JB38

JB38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What you found when transferring tape to DVD is something found by quite a few with more discerning attitudes about quality, although its easy to fall for the general advertising guff that infers that anything digital must be good, when in many cases it isn't! and referring to the audio side anyway, thankfully backed up by the advertising authority ordering one radio broadcaster to stop using the word "superior quality" when referring to their DAB service. (DAB being very iffy to any Hi-Fi person)

I believe this is because that although digital images may not have the same sometimes grainy effect as associated with their analogue counterparts, the absence of this make many automatically voice opinions about superior digital performance, seemingly completely oblivious to the fact that the images with elements of grain attached to them were at least sharp, whereas the non-grainy digital are in many cases not!, plus in many cases introduce pixelated and other undesirable effects.

I personally prefer a razor sharp but possibly grainy analogue picture, to a grain free but pixelated digital one.

5. dvdope

dvdope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got a refund ---- eventually, but the manager needed a little convincing. Can't remember exactly what the display info said but it was along the lines of "....improve video picture quality when dubbed to dvd...". I've also read a few reviews of a JVC combi (on cnet) that also backed up improved dubbing:-
    http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/dvdpvr/0,39030416,39188465,00.htm

"....We were impressed with the JVC DR-MV1's VHS-to-DVD dubbing. We dubbed our 12-year-old VHS test tape to a DVD-RW in SP mode and the resulting copy looked great. Much of the video noise from the ageing tape was gone, and the picture looked reasonably sharp. Colours were a bit duller and the picture looked slightly dark, but overall we were thrilled with the results, the lack of chapter stops notwithstanding..."

Back to drawing board. Thanks again for all the help and replies

6. JB38

JB38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Glad you managed to get a refund dvdope, and yes! the high level of claims made for some digital equipment is quite appalling.

I interpret any claims I see of improving your VHS tapes by transferring to DVD, as simply meaning that the DVD may possibly have a noise reduction system on its analogue inputs, and of course "if" it has, then that works by taking the sharp edge off the picture, thereby softening the grain etc to fuse it in with the rest of the picture.

This can easily be seen in VHS machines with so-called picture enhancers, or "best picture", the picture sharpness being seen to subtly vanish by switching the facility on. (a sort of reverse of digital picture processing's unsharp mask)

7. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think you are going to do much better than the Panny for quality . I agree with JB38 that DVD is not all its cracked up to be. Unless you want to restrict recording to about 1 hour in XP mode you can get far better results using S-VHS and a 3 hour recording capacity. You can now get a good JVC S-VHS machine for around £85 in the UK with SE 180 tapes at about £3 each. S-VHS largely overcomes the colour noise problem of ordinary VHS and produces sharper pictures . To my mind it is clearer and more natural than SP DVD with more vibrant colours and sharper detail. Whilst XP DVD is supposed to be technically better it still looks a bit "plastic" to me. Also most S-VHS VCR's have "real" quality enhancing facilities that can also ensure that at least you get the best on replay of an ordinary VHS tape.
    The only thing that would put me off Pannys when I last looked around is that they were still single -R/-RW format. I have found +R's to be more transportable particularly if burnt on a PC burner.