Panny DMRES10 and Philips LCD 26PF5520D

Tuxedo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have the above connected via a 21pin scart at AV1 to AV1 with the dvD set to AV1 input. I get the following problems:

1. Whanever DVD player is switched on, the TV switches to AV1 but displays an analogue image. You then have to select digital on the TV remote to go back to what you were watching;

2. If you press 'direct tv record' on the panny, it again just records analogue and not the digital programme you were watching.

Bit annoying and wonder if I've set it up wrong.

Thanks for any help!:thumbsup:

Tuxedo said:
wonder if I've set it up wrong.

You have.
The DVDR must be connected to the EXT2 scart on the TV as that is the only scart on the TV which outputs the digital signals.
It should be connected as follows.
TV EXT1 to DVDR AV1
TV EXT2 to DVDR AV2
To record digital from the TV select "A2" using the DVDRs "Source" button.

Hi & thanks 4 tip. As I only have one spare scart do you think the following would work:

OPTION 1 - TV AV2 to DVD AVI?

Option 2 - TV AV2 to DVD AV2

sorry I should have been clearer... I only have one spare scart "lead" and wanted to avoid going out an buying anothe one. :oops:

Tuxedo said:
sorry I should have been clearer... I only have one spare scart "lead" and wanted to avoid going out an buying anothe one. :oops:

Don't be so mean :thumbsdow
You don't need to spend a fortune on a lead £6-£10 will get you a decent one.

Why would you need to wire it up with 2 SCART leads? That just sounds completely wrong to me.

I'm not familiar with that TV but I know the DVD recorder inside out. If the TV outputs its digital signal through AV2, plug a SCART lead from AV1 on the DVD recorder to AV2 on the TV.

As for the switching, I'm guessing you have the DVD recorder set to RGB? If so, whenever you switch the machine on it will automatically override the TV picture.

If you use either Video or S-Video output through the SCART lead (selection available in Functions) then the DVD will use smarter switching, i.e. your TV will only switch to the DVD when you press a menu button or start playing a disc. It will not take over all the time, which can be very annoying.

But I see absolutely no reason at all why you would need to use 2 SCART leads between those 2 pieces of equipment.

Iron Monkey said:
But I see absolutely no reason at all why you would need to use 2 SCART leads between those 2 pieces of equipment.

If he plays a DVD how is he going to view it on the TV?
AV2 on the DVDR is an input.

Also scart auto-switching has nothing to do with RGB.

Actually AV2 is an input & an output on the DVD recorder. I never said anything about wiring the DVD through AV2 to the TV.

I believe I said:

"If the TV outputs its digital signal through AV2, plug a SCART lead from AV1 on the DVD recorder to AV2 on the TV."

There is no need for the second SCART lead at all.

And RGB has a lot to do with the way switching works on Panasonic DVD recorders. If the recorder is set to RGB the switching acts like a normal DVD player - it takes over the screen all the time. This is why Tuxedo said whenever he turns the DVD on, the TV switches to AV1 & displays an analog image. The analog image is the DVD recorder's tuner.

You do realise that with 21-pin SCART leads the signal travels in both directions don't you? There is absolutely no need to use 2 SCART leads like you suggested.

Iron Monkey said:
Actually AV2 is an input & an output on the DVD recorder. I never said anything about wiring the DVD through AV2 to the TV.

I believe I said:

"If the TV outputs its digital signal through AV2, plug a SCART lead from AV1 on the DVD recorder to AV2 on the TV."

There is no need for the second SCART lead at all.

And RGB has a lot to do with the way switching works on Panasonic DVD recorders. If the recorder is set to RGB the switching acts like a normal DVD player - it takes over the screen all the time. This is why Tuxedo said whenever he turns the DVD on, the TV switches to AV1 & displays an analog image. The analog image is the DVD recorder's tuner.

You do realise that with 21-pin SCART leads the signal travels in both directions don't you? There is absolutely no need to use 2 SCART leads like you suggested.

For someone who states that he knows his DVDR "inside out" you seem to be ignorant or not aware of its specifications and AV interconnects in general.:lesson:
The reason I suggested Tuxedo connect using two scart leads was to enable RGB in and RGB out between his TV and DVDR which is the generally accepted method to get the best possible picture quality from the two pieces of equipment...using your method of one scart lead would only give him composite video and he would not see the benefits of RGB.

Your DMR-ES10EB only has RGB in on AV2 and RGB out on AV1.
Both scart sockets AV1/AV2 are bi-directional for Composite video.
Again, I repeat...scart auto-switching or "takes over the screen" as you put it is a function of pin 8 voltage switching on the scart lead and has nothing to do with RGB/S-Video/Composite video and again is generally accepted as being a positive benefit of scart lead inter-connects not a negative as you imply.

JayCee said:
For someone who states that he knows his DVDR "inside out" you seem to be ignorant or not aware of its specifications and AV interconnects in general.:lesson:
The reason I suggested Tuxedo connect using two scart leads was to enable RGB in and RGB out between his TV and DVDR which is the generally accepted method to get the best possible picture quality from the two pieces of equipment...using your method of one scart lead would only give him composite video and he would not see the benefits of RGB.

I don't own it myself (I am waiting for the new FreeView model which should be the DMR-ES25D) but I have installed loads of the damn machine. I have now looked up the specs of the Philips 26PF5520D and it does not do RGB output on either of its SCART sockets (http://www2.p4c.philips.com/files/2/26pf5520d_10/26pf5520d_10_dfu_eng.pdf page 21), therefore using the second SCART lead as you suggest is pointless.

I can understand what you're saying, but even if the TV did offer RGB output on its second SCART socket, I really don't see the point - why unneccessarily use up a socket which could potentially be used for another piece of equipment, especially when there are so few sockets on that set in the 1st place?!

JayCee said:
Your DMR-ES10EB only has RGB in on AV2 and RGB out on AV1.
Both scart sockets AV1/AV2 are bi-directional for Composite video.
Again, I repeat...scart auto-switching or "takes over the screen" as you put it is a function of pin 8 voltage switching on the scart lead and has nothing to do with RGB/S-Video/Composite video and again is generally accepted as being a positive benefit of scart lead inter-connects not a negative as you imply.

I never implied that switching is a negative aspect of SCART leads. It is very useful, especially to my customers who tend to be about 900 years old - less buttons to press means less confusion! The only reason I said "takes over the screen" is because I have to speak in simple terms to my customers - not everyone understands what "SCART switching" means.

Have you actually used the Panasonic DMR-ES10? Or are you going on specs alone? Because from my own personal experience I can tell you that using RGB on this recorder changes how the SCART switching behaves.

This is not speculation or a wild stab in the dark, it is fact. If you don't believe me, buy one & try it for yourself...

Using a Freeview TV as a Freeview tuner for a non-Freeview DVD recorder isn't an ideal arrangement anyway, whether the TV outputs RGB or not. With the addition of a cheap set top box, you can record one Freeview channel while watching another. But if you don't want to buy another SCART lead ...

Or he should have just bought the DMR-ES20; its the same as the DMR-ES10 but with built-in FreeView - much less hassle for recording digital stations & none of this messing around stupidly with 2 SCART leads for 1 item malarky...

I agree in this instance it would be pretty pointless to tie up another scart socket as this set like a lot of IDTVs does not output RGB...I was going to take a look at the sets specs on the Philips site but you beat me to it.
I do not own a DMR-ES10EB myself (I have a Tosh DVDR)...I did just check out the specs in the same way you checked the TV specs but like yourself have installed them and demo'ed them to customers.
In every case I have set them to RGB in/out and not used the S-Video out so cannot vouch for the different scart behaviour...I will just have to take your word for this until I next come across one.

Guys, thanks a lot for useful info. I'll try the AV1 (DVDR) to AV2 (TV) with RGB off to see if it sorts it. Cheers

Hi Guys,

I bought an extra scart and now have a scart between:

AV1 TV to AV1 DVDR
and AV2 TV to AV2 DVDR

Thankfully, i can now press record and it will record digital tv so long as the TV is currently viewing a digital signal.

However, there are still the following issues:

1. If i set the dvdr to record I cannot then go to to the TV and, e.g., switch to analogue so that i can watch something else. Anything I switch to gets recorded. (I can do this on my main set up with my Panny 37PV500 without affecting the recording);

2. Similarly, if I press "Timeslip" on the DVDR, I should then be able to watch the recorded material from the beginning (again, as I can do with my main set up). All that happens is that the DVDR starts to record whatever I'm watching on screen.

I'm seriously considering getting rid of this pesky philips and sticking to panny all round. would appreciate any help on setting up issues if i'm doing it wrong.

Many thanks all. :suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom