1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny DMREH50 HDD fan noise??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MrNPG, May 18, 2005.

1. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi folks,

Can anyone confirm whether the new Panny DMREH50 has a HDD fan and if so, is it noisy, i.e. noticable whilst viewing TV?

Do these HDD fans only run whilst the actual HDD is being used or do they run ALL the time that the recorder is switched on?

Cheers.

2. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

Yes, it has a fan (I think all of the HDD equipped recorders do) but on mine at least, it's extremely quiet. It's not at all noticeable unless there's next to no sound in the room.

As far as I can tell, the fan and HDD are only on when the machine is taken out of standby or in recording mode: There's a slight whine and sometimes a light 'clunk' as the machine goes into use. If you listen really carefully and the room is quiet enough you can sometimes hear the heads clicking on the HDD when the machine is recording or playing back.

I've not had the machine long so I suppose it's possible that the hard disc might 'fragment' like a computer HDD, thus causing more head movement noise over time. There is an option in the menus to do a complete reformat on the HDD.

Gav

3. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    unbelievably quiet :thumbsup: