Panny DMR55 and Sky & Sky+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ani4ani, Jul 13, 2004.

1. ani4ani

ani4ani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I think I am about to invest in a DVD Recorder and this model seems to be the one I will get.

I do have a few questions about how I can use the system. I have no terrestrial TV at all, due to the terrible reception around my way and so rely entirely on Sky [Sky & Sky+], questions follow:-

Can I connect both of my Sky systems to the box, so that I can either archive my Sky+ material, and record directly as a another digital recorder from my standard Sky box?

Will the device, if I use it like a VCR, change the channel on my respective Sky box on a programmed record?

When viewing material, does the system create or have an "on-screen" display of the recorded material, to allow rapid access?

I guess all archiving needs to be done on DVD-R discs?

Will the progressive scan feature improve standard Sky material when fed to my projector?

thx in anticipation.

PS is there another, similar priced recorder with Prog Scan?

2. ani4ani

ani4ani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    bump..still interested!

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Yes - infact there are numerous ways to do this.

Connection Example One
    One of the easiest ways is going to be:

Sky+ S-Video Out > Panasonic E55 AV3
    Sky+ RGB Output > TV RGB Input
    Sky RGB Out > Panasonic E55 AV2
    E55 Component Output > TV/Projector Component Input

This disadvantage here is that you are only going to be able to record from Sky+ in S-Video which is inferior to RGB. Depending upon your Sky+ box and your exisiting Scart cables you may also need a 'Direct Entry' Scart for your RGB Output (as otherwise you can't connect the Phonos). For example:
    http://www.hificables.co.uk/Product...D/2388/v/3a243a0f-52dd-4eff-a657-74efc7b3553d

Connection Example Two
    If you would prefer to watch in S-Video and record in RGB from the Sky+ the you could adopt the following:

Sky RGB Out > 2into1 splitter > Panasonic E55 AV2
    Sky+ S-Video Out > TV S-Video Input
    Sky+ RGB Output > 2into1 splitter > Panasonic E55 AV2

The disadvantage here is that you would need to get a 2into1 scart controller. For example:
    http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/product/technical.asp?dept_id=112&sku=664

Connection Example Three
    If you want to record in RGB from both Sky boxes and watch in RGB then things can get complicated.

Sky+ RGB Out > Scart Splitter > TV RGB Input
    Sky+ RGB Out > Scart Splitter > 2into1 > Panasonic E55 AV2
    Sky RGB Output > 2into1 splitter > Panasonic E55 AV2

The disadvantage here is that you would need to get a Scart Splitter AND a 2into1 scart controller. I had a quick look but couldn't find a decent quality example so you will need to do a bit of research yourself on that one.

I'm afraid not. You can use the Sky scheduler to auto-start the E55 recording but then (I believe) you have to use the Video output of the Sky box which means no RGB :( Accordingly most people just change the channel themselves.

Yes - but bear in mind rubbish in means rubbish out. There is a modest improvement in PQ though.

Yes - a menu comes over the picture listing all your recordings - and you can name recordings as well to make it easier to see what you have recorded.

Well that depends! If you want to play back your archivings on other DVD players then yes. If your not bothered about that then you could just use DVD-RAM (which to be honest is alot more durable than all other types of DVDR media and the best place to actually store your recordings IMHO!).

What alot of people do is buy a PC DVD burner to convert their DVD-RAM recordings into compatible DVD-R - using the guide which is a 'sticky thread' at the top of this forum.

Have a look at the JVC DRM10 - although note it is probably less ideal as it doesn't have RGB input:
    http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2328
    I would go for the Panasonic personnally.

4. ani4ani

ani4ani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Wow, many thanks for this, a credit to the forums!

I am still favouring the Panny, however I would like you view on a another matter which is a little related.

I currently have a Sony 730 running into may PT200 with Prog Scan. One idea I had was to pick an older generation recorder, e.g. Philips 880 or 890, or Sony GR3 etc, i.e. [no prog scan] and retain my Sony 730, and just basically have a archiving system. Of course this means an extra box etc. Alternatively I could replace with the E55 or E65 and use their Prog Scan, component out. Do you have any views on whether the PQ on the Panny will be as good as my Sony? I know it is a subjective matter, but I am pleased with the Sony.

Cheers, and thanks again for the comprehensive reply :thumbsup:

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    No problem - glad to help.

I would never suggest getting an older generation recorder - technology moves on so quickly with DVDRs that you would be seeing yourself off quite dramatically. That said if you just want a cheap DVD recorder for archiving then there is loads of choice.

It depends what you mean by 'archiving' system though - the Panasonic E55 is probably the best budget DVD recorder on the market but cannot record onto compatible RE-writeable media. But some other good choices are:

Pioneer 220
    http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dvr220/dvr220.htm

Sony GX3
    http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1894

I personally suggest steering very well clear of the Philips models due to limited functionality and reliability. Current standalone JVC and Toshiba models lack RGB in which makes them less useful when recording from Sky: but if you can live with that the Toshiba DR1 and JVC DRM10 are potentially good choices.

Never seen the Sony 730 in action I'm afraid so no. Besides PQ is a very subjective thing.

Noticed you made this statement: there should be little doubt as to which one you want.
    - If you have or plan to get a Digital Camcorder get the E65.
    - If you have or plan to get a Digital Camera/SD Device and want to use your DVD recorder to store the pictures then get the E65.
    ...otherwise get the cheaper E55.