Panny DMR-EZ25 - RF oddity

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gobstopper, Apr 23, 2007.

1. gobstopper

gobstopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Last weekend I added a Panasonic DMR-EX25 to compliment my existing DMR-EH60D recorder. The object, to replace a very tempermental and aged Pioneer player which I had been using in my bedroom. I was going to get an S52 (as it also played RAM discs) but have found myself in the position of occasionally still needing to record two things at once so I splashed out on the EZ25.

I wasn't 100% sure how things were going to work out with it as the RF feed into my bedroom is actually from the RF2 socket of my Sky digibox (with a TV-Link controller plugged into the end of it) not from the aerial on my roof (which connects into the RF-in on the sky box) and was bracing myself for the possibility that I wouldn't actually get any Freeview channels (at which point I would have probably been better off with the DMR-ES15). But, I was more than pleasantly surprised. The recorder went through it's setup process without so much as a hint of complaint and I found myself looking at a full compliment of digital channels, analogue channels and it had even tuned in a channel for the RF feed from my digibox - fantastic! Better still, the TV-Link still works as well. So all in all I was pretty chuffed.

The recorder is also connected via scart, so as soon as I swich it on the TV automatically switches to the appropriate AV channel.

It was only while performing a test recording that I came across this gremlin... Wishing to watch something different from the programme I was recording (and as I was recording from one of the freeview channels), I swtiched my TV to channel 6 (the RF feed from the Sky box) and was about to hit the TV guide button to find the other programme I intended to watch. What I saw on the TV screen confused me for a moment, so I tried TV channel 1, channel 2, channel 3, etc... and remained confused.

With the recorder switched on I can't seem to watch anything using my TV tuner (including the RF feed from my Sky box). I can hear what is supposed to be on that channel, but the picture I am presented with is a horizontally scrolling version of whatever the recorder is tuned to at that point in time. As soon as the recorder is swiched off, normal TV service is resumed.

This evening I've taken a look through the recorder's settings, but can't see anything which I could potentially attribute to these symptoms.

Any thoughts? :lease:

2. gobstopper

gobstopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    No ideas/thoughts/observations?...

3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    TV make and model no?
    You say it is connected by scart...which scart goes where between the DVDR and TV?

4. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    It sounds to me like the recorder is outputting an RGB signal but the TV doesn't like it. Turn off RGB in the DVD recorder's settings and that should sort your problem.

Do bear in mind that when RGB is turned off, the DVD recorder will only take over the screen when it needs to (i.e. when you press Functions, Direct Navigator, play a disc, etc) and not from when it is switched on.

Hope that helps!

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    The TV / AV autoswitching in your television is evidently in a confused state.

This might be a dynamic confusion caused by hot plugging the new item into the TV so I would suggest that you try to reset the TV by completely unpowering it for a few minutes... and see if the behaviour changes to normal.

If the condition is permanent, then there is something amiss about the way the TV is responding to Scart pin 8 signalling. [ Could there be a conflict? Do you have any other devices connected to TV scarts? ]

Have a look at the AV1 output setting in :
    Functions / To others / Setup / Connections.
    If it is currently set to RGB 2 , set it to RGB 1.

Report back if no change to behaviour.

6. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    If it is currently taking over the screen from switch on, then it is already set to RGB 1. RGB 2 functions like normal composite mode in that it only takes over when necessary.

I think that the TV is an older one that doesn't cope properly with an RGB signal - switch to the AV channel & it will show the picture fine, switch away while the signal is still being fed & the TV doesn't know what to do, so you get the sound from the TV's tuner but the picture from the AV source which rolls across the screen.

This was common on older Panasonic TVs (such as the old TX-21T1) I seem to remember.

7. gobstopper

gobstopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Thanks guys. IronMonkey, I think you might be onto something.

The TV in question is only a Thomson 15" portable in my bedroom, chances are your RGB theory might well be worth looking into.

I will try Gavtech's suggestion as well (thanks for your thoughts). The TV only has one scart socket so that rules out a scart conflict. The old DVD player that I had connected previously didn't give me this issue (but then it wasn't a recorder with it's own RF tuner to contend with) and I could pause a film, switch away to an analogue channel before switching back to the AV channel.

While the TV isn't archaic, I'm cautiously putting money on the RGB theory - chances are the TV's scart isn't accostomed to receiving an RGB signal.

Will keep you posted. Thanks again. :clap:

8. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    I agree.

I think sync signals are carried on the red pin of RGB - and it looks like they are leaking through somehow.

A one scart 15 inch portable Thompson is unlikely to be equipped for RGB.

My idea in changing to RGB 1 was to force a more deliberate pin 8 signal which would lock the TV 's AV switching more certainly [ Actually against what you want to achieve] - so that you would have to manually force it off using TV AV switching on the TV.

Probably not relevant now... Nevertheless it may be interesting to see what if any difference that makes to the behaviour.

9. gobstopper

gobstopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Gents, you've cracked it!

I have switched the AV1 connection from RGB to standard video and now I can switch back and forth between the analogue tuner on the TV and the recorder without any confusion. Changing the setting does seem to have lost the auto-switching function, where upon switching on the recorder the TV would automatically switch to the AV channel, but that's an insignificant gripe in comparison.

The TV code for my Thomson works on the EX-25's remote (unlike my Sky remote which I singularly failed to get to drive the TV) and there's an AV button which does exactly what it says on the tin, so I'm not fussed about the lack of auto switching now.

Thanks to both of you. :thumbsup:

10. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Told you it would work!

No problem. :)