Panny DMR EX85 Fast Copying 2 Hours +??

Goober11

Standard Member
When I try to fast copy from HD to DVD for anything greater than 2 hours my Panny will not allow this and prompts me to do the copy in real time - am i doing anthing wrong, any tips?

Thanks Gavtech

Hal_loe

Hi

You need to provide some important information please.

What Recording mode did you use (XP, SP, LP, EP or FR)?

How big does it say the file is when you select it to add to the dubbing list?

Does the file have the high speed copy possible icon present (looks like ">>O") in the dubbing file selection menu?

Fast Jon

It sounds as if your original recording to HDD was in SP. This will give a maximum of 2hr 6min (approx.) that will fit on a DVD.

aekostas

The reason why you are prompted to copy in real time is that the medium does not have enough space for a bit-by-bit (fast) copy. In order to fit the material, it has to encode it again in reduced quality, which requires encoding, and that's only possible in real time.

Goober11

Standard Member
The reason why you are prompted to copy in real time is that the medium does not have enough space for a bit-by-bit (fast) copy. In order to fit the material, it has to encode it again in reduced quality, which requires encoding, and that's only possible in real time.

OK not sure what that means. My scenario is that I record everything to hdd on SP then try and high speed to DVD. Sometimes the original SP recording is 2 hours plus or I add a few items to the play list which exceed 2 hours.

Is there no way to reduce the size of the hdd recording i.e. tranfer it at LP rate? Or do I need to record stuff on my hdd at LP level to get more than 2 hours to transfer at high speed.

Thanks.
:confused:

Gavtech

Administrator
Is there no way to reduce the size of the hdd recording i.e. tranfer it at LP rate? Or do I need to record stuff on my hdd at LP level to get more than 2 hours to transfer at high speed.

Yes. Use the FR mode for anything over 2 hours[ Flexible record. ]

This prepares a recording to fit exactly onto a disk optimally with the minimum amount of compression.

If you do timer recordings, FR will be an option in the mode section of your timer screen - Move the focus to the Mode box and change it to FR.

For manual recordings , the machine needs to know the length of the recording before it starts so you have to input a time. You access it via Functions / To others / Flexible record.

If you have pre-enabled the ' Record for high speed' option to 'ON', you will be able to high speed copy the completed recording to disk... even if it is over 2 hours.

Goober11

Standard Member

This prepares a recording to fit exactly onto a disk optimally with the minimum amount of compression.

If you do timer recordings, FR will be an option in the mode section of your timer screen - Move the focus to the Mode box and change it to FR.

For manual recordings , the machine needs to know the length of the recording before it starts so you have to input a time. You access it via Functions / To others / Flexible record.

If you have pre-enabled the ' Record for high speed' option to 'ON', you will be able to high speed copy the completed recording to disk... even if it is over 2 hours.

Thanks Gavtech, very helpful. So for example I am recording Dr Who for my brother who lives in the US and I have just changed my weekly recording setting to FR. What will be the quality of the playback, will it be as good as SP and how much space would it use compared to SP for the same length of recording? Do you record everything FR mode yourself as standard just in case you want to archive it?
:smashin:

aekostas

LEt me see if I have this right.

My understanding is that FR will tune the quality so that what you record will take up a 2-hr DVD (though I think the ceiling is 2 x SP). So if you are recording a 1-hr programme, it will be better than SP, if the programme is over two hours the quality will be worse than SP.

Goober11

Standard Member

Gavtech, OK I think I now understand this but it does not do what I was hoping it would. For instance I recorded 3 x 1 hour programmes last night on FR mode then tried to burn them as a playlist to one disc - this obviously did not work. If I have got the logic right it would have worked if I recorded the 3programmes in LP mode then tried to fast copy.:oops:

Gavtech

Administrator
Gavtech, OK I think I now understand this but it does not do what I was hoping it would. For instance I recorded 3 x 1 hour programmes last night on FR mode then tried to burn them as a playlist to one disc - this obviously did not work. If I have got the logic right it would have worked if I recorded the 3programmes in LP mode then tried to fast copy.:oops:

Each of those individual 1 hour programmes will have recorded at very high quality because each will have recorded as if to fill one disk.

As you now realise, any single FR recording will record so as to fill a whole disk, irrespective of length.

If you want to rescue this, on this occasion, you could now FR all three programmes to one disk... but it would have to be in real time unfortunately.

If the programmes happened to be 3 consecutive programmes on the same channel [ very unlikely, admittedly ] you could have recorded the lot as one title at FR , then split them up ... They would then have been transferable at high speed to one disk.
I just mention that so you can grasp more of the logic behind it.

Gavtech

Administrator
LEt me see if I have this right.

My understanding is that FR will tune the quality so that what you record will take up a 2-hr DVD (though I think the ceiling is 2 x SP). So if you are recording a 1-hr programme, it will be better than SP, if the programme is over two hours the quality will be worse than SP.

Yes - essentially that is correct.

Obviously you cannot get better quality than XP quality ... so if you recorded only , say, ½ hour at FR mode, that would not fill a disk ... Thus FR mode is only really any use from 1 hour upwards. [ ...although it would do no harm doing it at less than 1 hour]
Thus if you recorded a 90 minute show at FR it would be better quality [ somewhere between XP and SP ] than if you recorded the 90 minute show at SP.
The first example would use the whole disk capacity. The second example would still leave 30 minutes unused.

Beyond 2 hours FR comes even more into it's own, because it allows you to get more material onto a disk than the standard 2 hours.

Speaking generally to the other thread contributors:

I generally recommend against stretching beyond 3 hours as quality starts to degrade significantly.

I also recommend against the use of LP ... Only use that when you really have no other choice.

Think carefully about the relative cost of disks, to your time, and how much you value recordings.

If you archive something, then obviously you think it is worth keeping... so it makes sense to have it saved in good quality on a disk that promises not to degenerate in a short space of time.

In other words. Only by quality media ... and don't be too stingy about cramming material onto them... otherwise you'll just be wasting your time when you come to them in a few years and find they won't play.

When quality media can be bought in the price range of 20 to 30 pence per disk... it does not make sense to cut corners.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom