Panny DMR-E85HEB9S Setup request.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by 007geezer, Jul 26, 2005.

1. 007geezer

007geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Just bought the Panasinic DMR-E85HEB9S and am having trouble hooking it up to my Television,video,cable box etc, read the supplied instruction manual,read it again, then again, then thought id ask yourselves for a sympathetic ear as i couldnt make head nor tail of it!!! Many thanks for you help in advance.

If some kind soul could advise me of the proper way to connect it all up properly,my nerves would appreciate it! :lease:

1.LG Television Model WE-32010Ip (Connections,AV1 & AV2)

2.Video, Sony Model 8LV-E720UX (Connections, Line 1 TV & Line 2 in)

3.Telewest Pace Box model No DI101oT (Connections,VCR & TV )

4. Panny DMR-E85HEB9S (Connections,AV1(TV) & AV2(Decoder).

Also how do you set it up for timer recording from the Telewest programme menu,is this possible?

Frustrated :eek:

2. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I may be wrong, in which case I'm sure someone will correct me, but I think you may be trying to connect one too many devices using just cabling. The typical situation illustrated in user guides is a TV, a digital receiver (Sky, Freeview or cable), and one recorder (VCR or DVD), and they can usually be connected up using SCART cables. Even with just 3 devices, the connections are a bit convoluted and can be a bit difficult to get your head around. This forum is littered with requests for connection help (and many helpful replies), and I never cease to be amazed by the patience of Rasczak and others in providing answers to the same questions over and over again. I'm afraid my eyes glaze over whenever I read about this sort of SCART cabling.

If you have more devices then you need some form of SCART switch. An AV amplifier is best if you can afford one. Mine has inputs (and outputs where appropriate) for a TV, two video recorders (which can be VCRs or DVD recorders), a DVD player, a digital receiver, a front panel input, and various audio sources. The beauty of it is, it is so simple to think about - and to connect up. Any input (including the TV output) can be selected by a single front panel switch or remote control button for watching on the TV, which acts as a video monitor, and the corresponding sound comes out of speakers connected to the AV amp. Independently of this any AV input can be selected for one of the video recorder inputs.

You can also get SCART switches with varying degrees of sophistication, and some of the better ones give the same sort of switching as an AV amp, including separate selection for a recorder, and remote control. I would avoid the auto switching ones (too confusing) but that's just a personal preference.

If you choose the AV amp route, check the number of inputs, you can never have too many. In fact I extended the number of inputs on my AV amp by adding a 3 way SCART switch on one of the inputs (currently, I've got two DVDRs, two VCRs, a DVD player, a Freeview receiver and a satellite receiver all hooked up to one TV). Also check that it will handle the signal format you want to use (composite, S-video, RGB, or whatever). The more expensive ones will convert formats. You may find you cannot use the tuner in your TV as one of the inputs at the same time as using the TV as a monitor, but that shouldn't matter if you normally use your Telewest decoder for watching TV.

As for setting up timers, I don't know the Telewest box. I guess making timer recordings on the E85 will be similar to making timer recordings on your VCR.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Assuming the VCR has a dedicated input scart (L2) and in/out (L1) then he can manage without a scart box - although you're quite right there are plenty more options available should be choose to get one and Intregated Receivers are what many of us use.

Connect using decent quality Scart leads as follows:

Telewest TV Out >>>> AV2 on the E85 and then AV1 >>>> TV AV1

Telewest VCR Out >>>> L2 on the VCR and then L1 >>>> TV AV2

Ensure Telewest is set to RGB out (check your manual!) and also so is AV1 & AV2 on the Panasonic (Functions/Setup/Connections).

This will enable you to record in RGB quality from the Digibox and also record to your VCR. If you're recording from terrestial on your E85 it will also enable you to continue watching Sky through your VCR. There are other ways but this is the simpliest one to get you started.

4. 007geezer

007geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Im on it, many thanks to you both ill let you know how i get on.....why does it have to be so confusing eh!

5. 007geezer

007geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Did as you suggested and all seems to be working fine...but have just been given a Bluedelta Smart scart! It has these idents on the scart locations.Do you think I should use this instead and if so what would be the connections..I know it tells me on the box but!!! Better to ask the expert first, Id really appreciate your help.

1. Output set top/tv

2. Input 1 vcr/set top

3. Input 2 dvd/vcr

4. Input 3 Aux 1/game

5. Input 4 Aux 2/camera

Cheers guys Charlie :thumbsup: