1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny DMR-E85H NTSC and PAL

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mike Woods, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Mike Woods

Mike Woods
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just picked up a Panny DMR-E85H and got a couple of quick querstions.

1. It seems that there's no multi-system mode and I have to switch it to NTSC mode before watching Region 1 DVDs. It plays them just fine in PAL mode, but my TV tells me I'm getting a PAL signal so I guess it must be converting NTSC to PAL. Am I right? Is this causing a reduction in quality.

2. Am I right in thinking it's not possible to watch a NTSC DVD while recording PAL TV?

Thanks

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have found another Panasonic recorder drawback.They all play NTSC discs as PAL 60,slightly inferior quality to pure NTSC.The only way to output NTSC is to go into the menu and change the tv system from PAL to NTSC.But you need to change it back again to PAL afterwards.
    Whether its set to NTSC or PAL,recording PAL tv on the HDD will not function if playing an NTSC dvd at the same time,and vice versa.However,this latter "fault" is also on other makes like Pioneer,although they do give the option of pure NTSC without all the messing about you get with Panny