Panny DMR-E85H and 8x DVD-R

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nialli, Aug 7, 2005.

1. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Can't seem to find many 4x DVD-Rs around these days. According to the manual 8x discs aren't compatible with the E85 and I've found dubbing to them an unpredictable experience. It rejects the disc to before the dubbing counter reaches 1/100 and sending the Panny into a long Self Check before rejecting the disc completely. I've had this with Pioneer, Sony and Imation discs, all of which performed fine in 4x mode.

Any ideas? DVD-RAMs are fine and machine has been a solid performer in all other respects.

2. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Now this is weird. High Speed Dubbing enabled recordings transfer fine to a (previously rejected) 8x disc. And, what's more, I've now been able to dub a non-high speed recording to the same disc now! Bizarre.

I don't think it's down to a couple of faulty discs as I've used around a dozen discs from different manufaturers and no luck. High Speed dubbing is not something I use regularly because of the loss of widescreen switching. Any ideas?

3. rich_jtg

rich_jtg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've found Verbatim 8x speed discs to be fine in my E85. No coasters.

I presume Taiyo Yuden 8x speeds will be fine too as Panasonic discs use a TY dye.

4. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Datawrite Yellow 8x DVD-R from SVP work fine in my E85