Panny DMR E50 - Question re AV switching

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Arthur Dent, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope some of you folks, particularly DMR E50 owners can enlighten me. Just set up a new DMR E50 which is connected with a fully wired Scart to AV3 on my TV (TV has 3 Scart sockets). Unlike it's VCR predecessor, when a DVD disc is played, the E50 doesn't automatically switch the TV to AV3. That I have to select manually with the TV remote. Likewise, when the recorder is switched off, the TV doesn't return to it's previous broadcast channel. My stand alone DVD player connected to another AV socket does provide this function. I am going to delve a little deeper into the manual, but meantime I wondered if this was normal with the Panny. Thanks in advance.

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Why aren't you using rgb output to the rgb enabled scart on the tv? You are throwing away picture quality, particulary as it can record rgb from a skybox and pass it through to the tv when not recording. Rig the second scart to the tv from the digibox so that you can still view sky when recording an analogue program, by maually selecting the appropriate input.

My similar technology HS2 certainly autoswitches via scarts, but there may be a setting in the recorder menu to turn this on and off. It could also be that the scart cable is not fully wired, and unable to pass the switching signal?

3. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for quick response. Reason I haven't got the Panny hooked up to an RGB enabled Scart on the TV is because just two of the 3 Scart sockets have RGB enabling and I've got a stand alone DVD player connected to one and (dare I say it ?) a Philips DVDR 890 connected to the other. So will have to do some serious rethinking about my set up. The Panny is connected to the Scart socket (Non RGB) that used to house the VCR. Don't think the cable is at fault as it is the same one the VCR used and that switched OK. Like I said, a rethink may be necessary. Will have to get out the pencil and paper and try to work it all out logically. BTW in case you're wondering, I'm being greedy as I want the capability of DVDing two different inputs and possibly view a third in real time. Will get there in the end I 'spose.

Cheers