1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny DMR-E50 question please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Peter Wright, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Peter Wright

Peter Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I will be buying one of these asap and was wondering whether they all come as multi-region. If not, is there a hack. Any recommendation for a good supplier would be welcome too. Amazon have them for £249.99 delivered but I'm not sure if it is multi-region or not:confused: Thanks

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    There is no hack, you can hire a single use remote and setup disc, but it is much better to buy one ready converted, with a guarantee, rather than voiding the guarantee on the one you would own, if you convert it yourself.
    If it was multi region it would say so on the site, we have bought multi region players from them before.

Do you really need multi-region? If you already have a multiregion dvd player you may find it more convenient to keep it in use. I have a hs2 but have retained a toshiba 210 for playback. THis is connected using component and optical for best quality, and is much easier for others to use, and allows the recorder to do what it was intended for, recording. I now realise that the £30 extra to make my HS2 mutliregion was wasted as I have never used it for playback of commercial dvd's.

3. Peter Wright

Peter Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the fast reply Ken. I was hoping to have one less box under the telly and can put my Tosh 220 DVD player to good use elsewhere. I have read a review of the Panny in What Hi Fi recently and it said its playback was fine. If I used the Panny as the playback machine as well, do you tink this would be a backward step? If not, I'll hunt around for a pre-set multiregion as you recommend. Thanks:clap:

4. ShaunIOW

ShaunIOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Peter,look at the other thread about this.As you will see,multiregion is fine,but if you attempt to play an NTSC disc while the HDD is recording in PAL ,it will not let you.And it also outputs NTSC as PAL 60 as standard.Fiddly menu changes are needed for pure NTSC.Stick with the Tosh for playback

6. Peter Wright

Peter Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all, I really appreciate the advice. I was really hoping to have one less box under the TV and get my Tosh re-housed. I does seem a bit of a pain to go tru menu changes to play NTSC but I've got quite a few R1 DVDs. The recording problem is also disappointing although I'm not sure how often this will crop up. Are there any Panny E50 users out there who can give me the benefit of their experience having lived with one for a while? Thanks.

Peter