1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny DMR-E20 & copying its dvd-r's

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by guitarman3, Dec 25, 2003.

1. guitarman3

guitarman3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks, I'm archiving home movies from 8mm video tape onto dvd-r's with my Panasonic DMR-E20 recorder. The resulting dvd-r plays well in the E20 and also in my other dvd players around the house. The problem comes when I try to copy the dvd-r using my PC (Roxio DVD Creator 6). The dvd-r copy does not play in the E20 nor does it play in the household dvd players. It only seems to play on a PC. I have a TDK 440N burner and TDK is unable to help me. If I'm using the "Disc Copy" function of DVD Creator, shouldn't the resulting dvd-r be an exact copy? It obviously isn't, otherwise the copy would play in the machines the original plays in. What advice can you fine folks offer me to resolve the situation? All I'm trying to do is make a backup of my dvd-r home movies--I thought that would be a no brainer.
    Thanks for any help! Dennis

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Roxio software isn't very good.

A free way to try is to get DVD Decrypter and use that to make a ISO image file of the disc and it will also burn the new disc.

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

3. guitarman3

guitarman3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I downloaded and installed the decrypter. I made an ISO image and attempted to burn it to a dvd-r. About 11 minutes into the write process I got a I/O error:
    I 00:01:54 Writing Image...
    E 00:12:13 Failed to Write Sectors 2912 - 2927 - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format
    I 00:12:13 Synchronising Cache...
    E 00:12:13 Failed to Write Image!
    E 00:12:13 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:11:11
    I 00:12:13 Average Write Rate: 9 KB/s (0.0x) - Maximum Write Rate: 597 KB/s (0.4x)

Any idea why it says it is an incompatible format? I'm using a TDK disc on a TDK machine??

Also, I noticed an mds file was also recorded to my hard drive along with the iso file. What is the significance of the mds file? The above error happened when I was writing the iso file. Thanks for your help!
    Dennis

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I don't know about the mds file as I don't use the ISO mode. It is probably a temporary file. Is it still on the computer after the image was finished writing?

It sounds liked there is a problem with how the drive is wired up to the computer. Have you got DMA enabled. Sometimes, if you have two drives, it is best to have the writer as master on the secondary IDE.

I only have the writer so it is automatically a master on the secondary.

Get some RW's discs so you don't muck anymore R's.