1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny dmc fx7 or Pentax optio s5i?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by G a f f e r, Jan 17, 2005.

1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a replacement for my digital camera and wanted these features:

5 Megapixal
    3x optical zoom
    ability to take good night shots without the flash (eg holiday landmark shots for instance)
    needs to take sd cards.
    needs to be very small/slim

needs to have an excellent lens with little or no barrel or pincushion distortion at both zoom extremes.

I think the panny has the edge with its image stabiliser (so allowing me to take better night shots?), and i think the lense is slightly better with sharpness to the edge, but colour reproduction on pentax is maybe better.

Well anyway, i can't really decide and wanted to know if anyone else had experience with these models and how would you rate them? pros/cons?

(internet reviews seem to be split 50:50 betwenn them, so i can't quite make up my mind)

PS, my existing dimage f100 has dead pixels on the cmos (about 7, hence the need for a new camera), what are the manufacturer warranty issues re:dead pixels - is it the same as projectors ? (ie "within normal tolerances therefore no repair offered")?

thanx for any help

2. Righty

Righty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'd go the fx7 without thinking twice.

3. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Thanx Righty.......but could you tell me why it's so much better?
    (Basically, is it worth the £50 over the pentax?.......if so why?).

Cheers