1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny DEMRES20D problem ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tetrarch, Sep 29, 2005.

1. tetrarch

tetrarch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have been trying to get to grips with my new baby and have encountered one minor irritation and one (potentially serious) problem.

The minor problem: Last night I wanted to instant record and store a programme later that evening. You can't just press the "rec" button as there is no way to end the programme without doing it manually. You can't record from the guide as it doesn't start to record once the programme has begun.

What is the best way to record a programme that has already started and another later on ?

Major Problem: I tried to "partial erase" and the player had a screaming hissy-fit and went into a "shutdown-restart-self check-error" loop that went on for ages (I could't even get the disk out). This was erasing the "front" half of a film. The same thing happened (but much shorter) when I tried to erase the first of two programmes on another disk.

Do you think that this is more likely a disk (DVD-RAM, BTW) error or a machine problem.

Regards

Pheid

2. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have only just got my 20D as well and haven't yet got used to it but am very pleased so far. I think that if a program has already started you press the "Rec" button multiple times so that it automaically stops recording after 30mins, 60mins, 90mins, etc. So if its a short 30min program then just pressing "Rec" twice should do the trick. If you only press it once then as you say, you have to press stop. The OTR (One Touch Recording) with variable end times is great if for example a film is just starting and you want to go to bed.

Thus, to record another programme later on I would first use the "Guide" and EPG to program the 2nd, and then having set that I would then use OTR to record the programme which was already on.

I haven't tried a partial erase yet but will have a go tonight to see if I get the same problem. I take it you were using a DVD RAM disk?

Cheers, AJP

3. tetrarch

tetrarch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So what you're saying is "RTFM",...and you are quite correct. Thanks very much. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The disk is a Maxell DVD-RAM. I used Richer Sounds' "price beat" £10 to buy three of these for £10. Are there better discs ?

http://ws3.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=MAXELL-DVD-RAM

Regards

Tet (Pheid is a moniker from another site - oops)

4. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    The Ridisc DVD-RAM discs at Blankdiscshop are £14-99 for a spindle of ten. I have both these and Panasonic and Memorex discs. They all seem just as good as each other. Buy the cheapest DVD-RAM discs. Unlike DVD-R the ram discs all seem to be similar quality.

5. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297