1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny Demos in the West End?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by sarll, Jan 28, 2003.

1. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Hi all

I'm pretty close to purchasing my first plasma and am going to be in London on Saturday. Can anyone recommend some places to view plasmas (particuarly 37" panny)?? I understand Tottenham Court Road is pretty good - also maybe selfridges??

I'm not going to buy from any of these places, i will buy online. I just want to see a few more in the flesh before i shell out the cash. I particuarly want to see some more sky digital setups as so far i've not been impressed.

Cheers for any suggestions

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I went in every shop in TCR in October, and decided TCR is rubbish for plasmas. Poor selection. Most shops have RF input with a fuzzy tv signal, or switching images with photo-cd type thing.

Selfridges was excellent for selection, all with DVD sources; although staff not too knowledgeable. I would go there rather than TCR.

StooMonster

3. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    cheers stoomonster

Thats a bit annoying about TCR. Did Selfridges have sky hooked up to any plasmas if you can remember??

4. Adlopa

Adlopa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tottenham Court Road isn't *that* bad but I think a call to one of the stores about your plans would help -- simply turning up and asking for a demo (on a *Saturday*) with very specific equipment requirements isn't going to cut it. Then again, unless you are going to buy from the store, I doubt they're going to bend over backwards to accomodate your requirements but I suppose there's nothing to stop you going down the old "I'll have to think about it" route.

All of the stores I went into a couple of weeks ago on a pre-demo investigation used either RF or S-Video for input purposes with not particularly impressive results. They also seemed to use Freeview rather than SkyD for TV purposes. None had a demo room either, which means you'll have to stand on the shop floor when you're assessing your potential purchase.

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Two of us went on a weekday morning, when all the shops were quiet; so was easy to get help with a demo. Just wasn't impressed is all, was expecting better.

The couple of upmarket shops in (or near) TCR had demo rooms, but no prog-scan DVD players and only Pioneer displays (at the time).

Had a much better experience at Selfridges because they have a range of displays from different manufacturers, so it was easy to compare.

If I were you, I'd go to Selfridges first and follow up with TCR; perhaps booking a demo with the more upmarket establishments.

StooMonster

6. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you go to Oxford Street, then don't just go to Selfrides go to John Lewis who have Panny's on demo and Debenhams.......but also go into house of Fraser cos they also have the new Fujitsu HHA10 which is interesting to compare as so new and good and have panny's too, athough staff are cack.

If got time goto Harrods cos they are quite useful and have let me play for ages several times!!!!!! tee hee

7. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    Be especially wary of prices in shops on Tottenham Court Road. Many shops are open to haggling. I went and saw the new Hitachi 32" plasma in one shop and they were selling it for £3500 - thats £500 more than its RRP! (The salesman did tell me that if I bought it they would throw in a free dvd recorder.)

Setups do seem to be poor in most TCR shops where the emphasis is more on packing as much into the shop as possible.

I recommend Harrods for demo's as they have their TVs set up well (good quality arials) and are happy to let you play for as long as you like. (They were also £500 cheaper for the Hitachi plasma than the TCR shop.)

I also recommend House of Fraser on Oxford street - even have seats to watch the plasmas from. Its not as busy as John Lewis (which is OK for demos) - which can become jam packed on a Saturday and you can wait for ever to speak to an sales person.

8. sirjohnofbalham

sirjohnofbalham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my view, the best place to see plasmas in London is Visionery in Crawford Street (near Baker Street). They do know what they're talking about (unlike most other shops) and have the screens set up properly. Don't expect any bargains though