1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny cut out problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Alphatoner, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Alphatoner

Alphatoner
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I have a TH-42PA20BS (the one with the built in tuner). recently it has started switching into standby mode for no apparent reason. The only way to get it active again is to wait (about 1 min) press the power button to fully turn it off and then back on again. There doesn't seem to be anything else wrong, picture is perfect etc.

Has anyone else experienced this or a similar problem with Panasonic Plasma's or couold anyone suggest what the problem might be and hopefully a cure.

Thanks

2. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Would you believe it !!!! My father in law rang last night to tell me exactly the same thing had started hapening on his.

I'm hoping AV-sales customer service is a good as it's reputation - the screen is 1 day out of warranty :eek: :eek:

I'll drop them an email today and let you know the outcome.

3. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Seems to be a common problem this.

Check the other threads.

4. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    It is a common problem and is due to a faulty power supply unit, (so I am told), which Panasonic know about. (There are other threads about this on here). If this is so then surely it should be dealt with as a recall? However you will have to pay to have it fixed if it is out of warranty. Panasonic only do this repair at their place in Bracknell and they charge £150 to collect and return it to you plus the cost of the job for which I have been quoted £250 approx. I have accepted their estimate as the panel cost me £5K and is only 2 years old. Up until now I have been very satisfied with it. The galling thing is having to wait so long for it to be fixed. it is now over a month since my panel went faulty and nearly four weeks since it was collected from me. It has been fixed, (last Tuesday), and I now have to wait for an invoice to be sent, (they use 2nd class post), and paid, before they will arrange a return delivery date. The whole system is terrible, too convuluted and expensive for a 'premium' product. I have made my feelings known to Panasonic but I just meet a wall of indifference. Surely they should have a filed engineer for something like this. After all, all they have done is to replace a PCB for which I am having to pay almost £500! It must be more cost effective for them and the customer to have such a job done at the customer's premises?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Pantages, your panel must be a euro import, it's cheaper for the engineers to fix it on site, which they regularly do, I have seen it done 3x now. At a few weeks out of warranty it will be free, give them a ring, the customer service dept will not bat an eyelid. To get some action, you do need to be on their case, follow up everything. I put up a thread entitiled, 'waiting for Godot' on the subject 6 months or so ago, with the contact numbers and procedure, do a search.

6. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    No, it is a UK model.

7. ChrisN

ChrisN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This happened to my Av-Sales bought PA20 at the beginning of the year.
    It was fixed within a week at my home after a couple of chase up calls to Panasonic and has worked fine ever since.

Hope yours gets sorted as quickly :)

8. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I think where you live decides if or not you get a field engineer. It is likely that not all of the country is covered - yet.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not so. Agents are Barron McCann, they cover all.

10. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    MAW, I am confused and angry by the conflicting information I am receiving and by Panasonic's refusal, so far, to discuss the situation with me. If they have an agent then why have they not told me so and why did they insist on me sending the panel back to them? If the fault is a known one why am I being asked to pay so much money for the changing of a PCB? I will try writing directly to their head office rather than customer service to see if I can get any satisfaction. Of course, until I pay the bill they will not return the panel. As I said to them, it is a premium product which should receive premium service - but to no avail.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    This is a 50" I assume? At 2 years old it is most definitely out of warranty. All the same, what's happened is that they saw you coming, maybe not deliberately. I don't think there's much malice there, just lack of knowlege. You could have called Barron Mccann direct, and they would have sent someone round, probably for £200 or so, to swap out the PCB. As it was not a warranty issue, you are free to have it done by the local lawn mower shop if you wish after all. They simply failed to inform you that they have an official service agent who would likely do it for less, and in situ also. As I say, not naughty, more like ignorant, go thru procedure on the card in front of them, oh, not in warranty, issue bill, no goods without payment, etc. 1 thing led to another. I am sorry for you, wish we'd heard of your problem before you called them.

12. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Oh, so do I! I have just sent another email asking for clarification on their procedures because any information I have received so far conflicts with that I was previously given! I'll keep you posted anyway.

13. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Well, I am still waiting, five weeks coming up since I first reported the fault. I received the invoice by 2nd class post this Monday and sent my cheque to them straight away- using 1st class, of course. No alternative methods of payment are offered so presumably I will have to wait until the cheque has cleared before they will return my panel. The service really is appalling. I have asked them to explain why they use such a frustratingly slow procedure but there has been no explanation. I mean, the panel was fixed Tuesday last week but I am still waiting. It is an awful time waiting, just for a PCB to be replaced, something that could quite as well have been done at home.

14. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Quick update on my father-in-laws plasma:

The wife rang AV-Sales who sent a form to fill in by email. Completed the form and emailed it back.
    Told me father in law not to expect anything done this side of the new year, Panasonic rang yesterday and asked if it would be OK for an engineer to visit and swap out the part on Monday (F.O.C) :clap: :clap:

15. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Final update - Panasonics' service agents called yesterday afternoon. Arrived about 4.30 (2 of them), removed the plasma from the wall mount, swapped out the power supply and put it back on the wall. Time taken = 10mins :thumbsup:

All in all it's taken less than a week for them to repair it free of charge on site - I really wasn't expecting it to be repaired this side of christmas.

Thanks to AV-Sales for doing all the leg work :D

16. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Huh! Lucky you! I am still waiting for my panel to be returned. They have had it for five weeks and it was repaired two weeks ago. I sent my cheque to them on 13 December and they tell me it has not yet cleared! Until it does I have to wait. What happened to trust? As far as I am concerned Panasonic Customer Care is terrible and once I get my panel back I will be sending a detailed report to the MD. Meanwhile I look forward to a dull Christmas. What gets me most is the complete indifference they show to my complaint.

Merry Christmas!

17. Alphatoner

Alphatoner
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Well there seems to be an awful lot of conflicting information about this problem.

Phoned Barron McCann was then told to phone a different number (01332 866938) they informed me that it would need to be COLLECTED (not repaired on site, no they didn't ask where i live) They told me the cost £372.48 PLUS PARTS.

At that sort of money i would be better of throwing it in the bin and buy from a decent manufacturer. One thing is certain I will NEVER EVER buy another Panasonic.

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Alpha, your screen is out of warranty then?

19. Alphatoner

Alphatoner
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yes, it's a 2003 model bought 2nd hand for £1200

20. dempsey

dempsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although thats an overall pretty rubbish turnaround and I can understand your frustration I think its maybe a little unfair to lump the blame on Panasonic Customer Care.

Having worked in a similar customer services role myself I am all to familiar with the situation. However, with the best intentions in the world customer services will literally only be able to pass on information supplied to them by the repair/service functions of the company.

Sometimes it can be this complete lack of information from the company as a whole which puts customer services staff in an extremely difficult position. I know I never took any pleasure in delaying a customer's repair or service call but a lot of the time theres simply nothing they can do.

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Alpha, Barron McCann gave you Panasonic's number, they don't know diddly squat. Try Barron's again, tell them it's not a warranty job, what would they charge.

22. Alphatoner

Alphatoner
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    MAW

The number is for BM or at least that's how they answered the phone when called. Also the price quoted (£372.48 + parts)was from BM.

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    They're having a larf! maybe try the real panasonic then, tell them of your troubles.

24. mooncat

mooncat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this sounds a bit iffy to me. all electrical goods are covered up to 6 years waranty with faults that are known about by the company. ie psu board thats dies.
    this i know as i got a ps2 mended free by sony as the laser died. a common fault with these.

the above isnt here say but 100% law. if i was you i wold get on the case of panasonic. theyve treated and misguided you badley

25. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Good point, though they might wriggle a bit as you are not the 1st owner. But it is a known fault, very well known in fact. Affects 5% of 42" I'd say, from around that age. It seems cured in later batches. So some good advice, go for it, you have nothing to lose. CAB might help you.

26. mooncat

mooncat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Under the Sale of Goods Act, retailers are responsible for faulty goods, that is goods which are not 'of satisfactory quality' - for up to six years after purchase (in Scotland the period is five years after something goes wrong)

Rights under a guarantee are in addition to rights against the seller under the Sale of Goods Act.

little known fact that many more people should follow up

27. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I have written to the Managing Director at Panasonic detailing my complaints. I do not criticise any individual employee but I do criticise the procedure and the unfairness of it. I mean, five and a half weeks for a fifteen minute job! I am awaiting his reply. I have noted the comments from the above members regarding sale of goods act, etc and I will refer to them if I need to. My panel is due back today, let's hope it is in one piece and good working order.

28. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I had a very similiar problem with my old panny 5 series, which was under warranty (but were giving me several weeks lead time for it to be fixed) - I gave panny CS lots of grief and eventually spoke to a manager. I mentioned the sales of goods act and the fact if it was not resolved I would go to the smalls claims court (easily done online nowadays) and they replace it with a pw6.

I think the lesson is use the phone, get the names of the people and insist on speaking to a manager. Once through to the manager give them grief - albeit in a nice way - and you should get some fairly prompt action.

If the fault is known fault and accept by panny and you have had to pay for it to be fixed - I would talk to panny CS manager and ask for refund mentioning the sales of goods act (must be fit for purpose for upto 6 years - wear and tear allowing). If they don't budge I would be tempted to lodge a small claims action against them for the money you have paid. Stating that this is a known problem which is normally fixed under warranty, but could happen at any point in time due a faulty part in the unit. Enclose you rec. etc. and you should be get your money back. - THIS IS MY VIEW ONLY - if you are unsure seek legal advice.

small claims online: http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

29. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you think Panasonic are bad, you should try some of the others. Hitachi have perfected the art of palming a fault off as a feature. Guess where that leaves the hapless retailer. We don't have rights against our suppliers like the public, we have to rely on their goodwill.