1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny: copy from DVD-RAM to Harddisk

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mar©, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Mar©

Mar©

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know...RTFM...but I am not finished yet, and there is so much to discover.

Yesterday I recorded a film from TV to DVD-RAM and because I want to keep it; am I intend to place it on DVD-R.

So there is no other solution than to place it on th HD first...

Can anyone give me a quick advise ?

I have a DMR-E500H .

Thanks !

2. Mar©

Mar©

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahum, I think I found it...
    I was looking for a name like "copy", but it is called "dubbing" ?
    Am I right ?

So I went to FUNCTIONS and choose high speed dubbing DVD to HD.

QUESTION 1: Is the quality selectable ?

I presume not, because it would not work to copy an SP-recording to an XP-recording....

I found nothing to select: My DVD-RAM was recorded in SP, so I presume that the copy on the HD is also a SP-recording.

QUESTION 2: when I copy from DVD-RAM to HD to DVD-RW, can I expect a less quality or is there just no quqlity loss ???

3. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I can only answer Q2...

This process is basically a digital "file copy" which ideally will be bit for bit identical to the original RAM recording.
    ie no quality loss.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Yeap - that's it. Ensure you have the HDD selected, goto 'Functions' and follow the on-screen menu.

Not when going from DVD-RAM to the HDD - it's just a high speed transfer. You'll get the option to re-encode and change quality settings when you record to DVD-R. You can redub an SP recording in XP - obviously it will look no better than SP quality though!

There will be no quality loss going from DVD-RAM to HDD. Whether there is a quality loss when you go from HDD to DVD-R depends on whether you dub in high speed or not. If you do then there will be no quality loss, if you dub realtime then there will be a (slight) drop in quality.

Note the E500 uses DVD-R media only and not DVD-RW. Also note you can only dub to DVD-R in high speed if you have the appropriate option selected in the menu prior to the original recording.

5. Mar©

Mar©

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to both !

One would think there would rather be quality loss in high-speed ???

But if I inderstand it correct, slightly QL could appear in for example SP-recording ??? ( is this real-time recording ? I mean: co copy 1 hour and 30 minutes takes also 1 hour and 30 minutes ? )

Problem is: there are (imho) not so much (affordable) DVD-R at 8 speed....

And from what I understand in the manual, I need 8-speed media to use high-speed recording....

Anyway: Thanks for his usefull advise. I myself am senior member of a digital photography forum, and I can understand how annoying it is to reply all these newbee-questions again and again and again.....

So, thank you very much !!!

6. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You are confusing high speed with real time. Don't forget that a real time 2 hour recording takes 2 hours to dub from one source to another. However at normal single speed you can fill a dvd in one hour, therefore at single speed recording you can copy a two hour program onto a dvd in one hour, similarly at lp a four hour program can be copied in one hour. If your recorder can go faster, say 4 times then a four hour program can be done in 15mins.

A straight digital copy from ram to hdd and even back again should be a perfect bit for bit transfer, with no deterioration. A high speed transfer in the newer recorders should also be bit for bit, the original loss in quality by selecting sp, lp etc instead of the best xp happening during the initial recording to the hard drive. You would only get further loss in quality by re-encoding, ie taking an sp recording of over 2 hours and fitting to a -r using fr to exactly fill it, or fitting 4 hours at sp onto a -r at efectively lp.

Hence it is always better to use xp for the initial recording if you intend to re-encode later or stick to a bit rate that you know will fit once you have finished editing. ie 150 min film recorded at sp with 30mins of ads removed will fit exactly on a -r and will transfer at high speed with no quality loss in around 15 minutes.

7. Mar©

Mar©

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

8. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Why would you need to be economical, my hs2 hold less than 8 hours at XP and about 17 at sp, yours will hold 10 times as much! (Envy!!). If I had one like yours I would record everything at xp, unless I really need to use a high speed dub. And even then I would probably only use high speed if I needed several copies.

9. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ken.I used to have an HS2,but once I got my Pioneer ,its ability to transfer from HDD-DVD in under 15 minutes makes sure you only ever do real time copies if you have to.As long as you know the running time of your final edit there is no need to real time copy at all.
    XP is ok if you want to watch and wipe,but for archiving real time is a waste of time