1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny Connections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by chrisw, Sep 8, 2005.

1. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Due to take delivery of my new TH37PE50 at the weekend and am trying to work out the best way of connecting it to everything else.

I have a Denon 2805 which I'm tempted to use to connect everything through, and then just run a single component cable up to the plasma. The main thing I'm looking for is to have as few cables running to and from the plasma as possible.

I have a Panasonic DMRE55 currently as my DVD player (has component out), SKY + is coming in the next week or so, a VCR (which never gets used) and my trusty PS2. I was thinking of feeding Sky into the amp via s-video, and the ps2 in via composite, and then running everything out of the amp via component.

The one thing I realise is that the screen won't have any sound coming out of the speakers - would 2 phono to phono be a reasonable option (to make it wife proof).

Can anyone comment about this proposed setup? Would I be sacrificing PQ by doing this?

2. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Nobody got any advice / suggestions?

3. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    PS2 via composite is horrible! You really want to be using component for this. The best Sky picture quality will be via RGB. I'd look at getting a JS RGB to Component and feeding this into the amp. I'd keep the DVD via component.

There you would have 3 component inputs and 1 out to the screen.

Personally I would avoid composite and s-video. Audio to the screen - why bother? The amp is going to have to be on to get a picture!

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    chris I have a dmr e55 and sky plus with my pw7. I go scart from sky (RGB socket not vcr) to the e55 and component from e55 to screen. Gives excellent results.

5. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    "PS2 via composite is horrible" - I normally connect to my TV this way - never thought it looked that bad before, how do you connect?

Mep - that sounds like a good plan, the trick is really to try and keep it as simple for the missus as possible, having to turn 3 things on may be a little tricky!

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    you just leave the dvd on.....I have two screens and both are connected differently but my missus got there in the end....you could also consider a harmony all in one remote....you just set ip up online and then just chose to watch a dvd or watch sky

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    by the way i have ps2 connected to my pwd7 by scart and use an ixos ps2 scart cable that cost about £25 and it gives a great image

8. gnikolaidis

gnikolaidis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same TV set hooked up to a Yamaha RX-V657 receiver. I have connected everything to the receiver and I am outputing all video signals via the component output of the amp to the component input of the TH-37PA50. For sound I use a simple RCA two way plug from the receiver to the RCA input of the TH-37PA50. Everything works fine and the picture quality does not suffer in any regard. One way of caution, before connecting your DVD to the component input of your amp make sure that you have switched the DVD player video output from interlaced to progressive, I got strange results on my screen before I corrected this problem.

9. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

This is a great thread as it has answered a lot of my questions - i'm in the same position.

Going to pop into a Hifi shop over the weekend to just nail down the last few bits - but just so the salesperson can't bs me (!) can you please confirm my understanding...

:confused: I can plug my sky+, dvd, xbox into an av receiver/amp and then ONLY have a component lead from my av receiver.amp to my panny 42PE50?

The reason this is so important to me is that I want to wall mount the plasma and hide the cables into the walls - so if I can minimise the cables from my av receiver/amp to the plasma that would be great :clap:

I had thought you had to have one lead (e.g. scart, component, s-video) from the av amp to the plasma for each input using these connections and that the av amp just allowed you to switch the inputs - but if I understand correctly now you plug everything into the av amp (scart, componenet, s-video etc.) but only need a component to go to the plasma ? :confused:

10. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Chris I originally had my PS2 hooked up through composite. Once I changed to component the improvement was massive! Lead only cost me £10....well worth it.

Not A Clue - All depends on what amp you have. Some will provide this functionality of converting everything to component, some won't! If yours does provide this then it is great for having just the one cable to the plasma.

11. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there any downside to moving all outputs via a component - i.e. loss of picture quality ?

12. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Not A Clue - component is the 'premium' way of connecting to a plasma - unless you have an HD set then DVI or HDMI are the best ways.

The amp I have (a Denon 2805) changes all the signals to be component so hopefully should give a good signal all round.

When my screen turns up, I'll have a play and let you know what the results are.

Parklife - what cable are you using and where did you get it from?

13. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Cable is unbranded. I took a look at the IXOS and believed it was a bit too pricey. Got it off Ebay.

14. MR.COATES

MR.COATES
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep - I've got my PS2 connected via Component (£9.99 lead from Game) and the picture is fabulous compared to Scart.