1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny - confused

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by viewer, Nov 6, 2004.

1. viewer

viewer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can some one explain the difference or meaning of the numbers/letters in the Panny range. What's the difference between
    TH-42PWD7
    TH-42PHD7
    Th-42PW7B

All shown all Av-sales.co.uk

2. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    To the best of my knowledge they are as follows:

TH-42PWD7 - Commercial Panel (Dark Grey case) 852x480 resolution
    TH-42PW7B - Domestic Panel (Silver Case) 852x480

TH-42PHD7 - Commercial Panel (Dark Grey) 1024x768
    TH-42PHW7 - Domestic Panel (Silver) 1024x768

The "H" means High res 1024x768 and these have come in at a bargain price, at £2500 they are £1000 cheaper than the previous V6 panels at the same res.

The panels are supplied by different divisions (Commerical and Domestic) of Panasonic and the commercial panels are meant to be used for OEM type applications in commercial situations but as you can see they both seem available to all so all it does is confuse people

Apart from the case colour the domestic and commercial panels are identical although on some other thread I heard something about the commercial panels having 2 digitizers and the domestic only 1 which limited the Picture in Picture options on the domestic panel but that is not confirmed.

I'm going to have a Commercial "H" as soon as they are available. A couple of weeks I'm told. There are no dates for the domestic "H" version yet.

charker

3. viewer

viewer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been looking at that one two - have you (or anyone else) considered the new Pioneer 435HDE or 435FDE

4. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Both Pioneers look interesting, the HDE is not available in the UK according to the Pioneer website (don't know how true that is). The FDE is a "TV" rather than a "Panel" by the looks of it, 3-scarts etc.

It compares to the Panasonic Viera TV plasmas except it has the High-def screen and the Panasonics don't...yet. I think Panasonic have some High-Def versions of the Viera TV's in other countries but not in the UK.

Considering the high-def screen and connectors (HDMI, S-video) already being built in it seems that it costs about the same as the new HD Panasonic panel plus a couple of adapters (HDMI, s-video, component etc). For either you are looking at about £2800 + bits and bobs (like a stand etc).

I imagine the usual Panasonic V Pioneer war could start raging, there are people who are loyal to both brands. The Pana people will argue about "blacker blacks" and high contrast ratio 3000:1 rather than 1200:1.

Best finding a retailer and checking them both out

charker