1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny colour Prob

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by hornet, Jun 10, 2004.

1. hornet

hornet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have what seems to be an image problem with my Panasonic PW6, it a bit tricky to explain but ill try.

The picture seems to be saturated (correct term?) :confused: i.e. when there is a flat expanse of colour, instead of there being a steady gradient the colour seems to be in steps such as one shade of colour after an other, if this makes sense. The rest of the picture is fine very nice looking. All this seems to have started about two days and the screen has been up on the wall since Monday.

I am using a Lectropacks Scart to RGB converter, to connect a signal from a Telewest digital cable box to the plasma via the VGA plug. I have a feeling the problem lies with the scart converter or the cable box, I don’t really want it to be a problem with the screen.

Please help this is my first plasma and I really love it, but the this colour thing is really bugging me

Regards

Dav.

P.s, apologies for the length of this post.

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think what you are describing is called solarisation and is just a feature of plasma/LCD displays.

You may also notice banding particularly on people's faces...again just a feature of plasmas.

In my experience both of the problems diminish as better quality inputs are used and especially when an external scaler is added to the mix.

It is also less likely to be a problem with better sources. So DVD will be much less prone to show these problems than the lower quality Telewest programmes.

Cheers, Lee

3. hornet

hornet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks mate, thats a bit of a relief, kind of put the frightners on me big time. I did notice that the problem was less apparent on different channels such as BBC compared to say the Paramount comedy channel.

Also on another note is the Eletropacks Scart to RGB converter any good, when compared to others, Such as the Q-sync or the JS one’s, I suppose what I want to know is if I change to these will I notice a significant difference.

One more thing where can I get a calibration disk from?

Thanks

DAV

need knowledge need info

4. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeh Loonatic is right. I get the same problem with Sky via scart on my PW6. The problem virtually disapears on DVD via component. I hoping that the JS RGB2VGA would improve the quality of Sky, so reducing the solarisation, guess it wont.

Just to go off topic a little, does anyone know if going the JS RGB2VGA route will reduce the screen flicker I get on Sky connected via scart?

Cheers

Paul

5. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have no experience of the Eletropacks Scart to RGB converter though I would allways recommend the JS Tech variants everytime...what difference you would see in PQ I couldn't say.

For Sky the JS Tech RGB2VGA seems to be the most popular choice but I don't think it would make any difference to the flicker as it's more of an internal issue than source related...but I have never tried it. It should make the image cleaner and sharper...to what extent this will help reduce the solarisation/banding I couldn't say - I have allways used an external scaler.

Both the DVE and AVIA calibration DVDs can be obtained via the PowerBuys section from Piero Milani. DVE is available as both PAL and NTSC whereas AVIA is only available for NTSC.

Cheers, Lee